Snapper Tips - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 04-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
uscgnazzario
Registered Users-pm+

uscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirate
Snapper Tips

Hey guys, I plan to target snapper pretty hard this year (don't we all) and I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some tips or techniques to help a novice offshore guy like myself out. I bought Rik's book and made it out a few times last year from Galveston and Freeport with decent success but also caught a fair share of sharks while targeting snapper. I mainly used cut or whole shad or threadfin herring to target them. Fishing within 30mi of Freeport what size leader, hook, and lead do you guy's prefer? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
uscgnazzario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
vertical jigs work good early in the season, bucktail jigs or snapper slapper tipped with bait both also work good. Snapper are not always on the bottom, the large one for sure. So smaller snapper slapper with whole squid often will get large ones on the slow fall or flat lines out with whole fish. Drift away from the public marks at times, the fish are not always right on top of the mark they move around it. Chumming always helps if it is slow. Live bait when you can. If sharks are bad go to straight mono and just get ready to lose a bunch of hooks if you want to fish with bait or do not tip the snapper slappers.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Fishing time
Registered Users-pm+

Fishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to Pirate
^^ X2 on what JR said. Have caught my biggest on the techniques he described.
Fishing time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
SaltwaterTom
Fat Hookers Fishing Team

SaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to Pirate
I can tell you, the biggest factors are bait and rig setup. We fished right next to a boat 2 seasons ago that had adults and teens using double drop leaders and bait shop squid. When they didn't get cleaned out, they were catching babies. We were catching 24-28 inch pigs and throwing 19-21 inchers back. After we limited, we motored over and gave them 2 leaders and some bait. As we trolled for our kings, they hooked up solid fish after solid fish. We were using food grade giant Korean squid bought from 99 Ranch market. Each one weighs over a pound, and is cut into 5 or 6 pieces, then frozen. The stuff is so oily (fat = flavor, remember?) that it leaves a slick when we rinse our hands off. It's also so tough, the little ones can't peck it off, so you just ignore the little bites you feel until a big one gulps down the whole thing. We use a 5 foot homemade leader of 200 pound test mono, swivel on the top, 4-6 ounces of egg weight in the "almost middle" (make the bait end slightly shorter than the lead end so if the bait helicopters, it won't tangle your braid), and end it with a 8/0 circle hook.
Attached Images

SaltwaterTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Trust your sonar.
Fresh cut bait on snapper slappers.
Don't drop cut bait on fish finding rigs, only live bait.

I have more fun catching them on jigs. Vertical jigs tipped with gulp or squid skirts.
Attached Images

Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
Kaizen
Registered Users-pm+

Kaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKaizen has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I catch some bait the night before my trip. Usually ends up being the biggest pinfish and hardtails I can catch under the lights. I will also keep a bonita or jack if I can catch one on the way out and chunk it up. I rig my guests with 8 or 10/0 gamakastu circle usually on a single dropper loop tied with 50 lb mono and 6 to 8 oz bank sinker. I'm usually driving the boat and start with a vertical jig. I've found that working a jig on a drift increases the likelihood my guests get bit. Not sure if the jig helps the fish to "turn on" or what. If the fish don't hit the jig, I switch to a tipped snapper slapper. For me, the fish usually either like big baits just off the bottom or tipped snapper slapper dragged through the mid depth water column. Usually, each drift past the wreck, everyone in the boat either catches a fish, gets bit and loses their bait, or hangs up. If I cant get decent bait the night before, I will also stop at the short rigs on the way out and try to jerk up some larger baits. I use chrome freshwater jigging spoon like what is used for whitebass on spinning gear. I cast and let it sink way down then jerk it like crazy all the way back to the boat.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
Kenner21
Registered Users-pm+

Kenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to Pirate
Honestly the snapper are so thick as long as you have some good bottom numbers and decent bait live or dead you shouldn't have any issue stacking up some bigger ones. I just use JB offshore snappers leaders and cigar minnows. If you want to catch some of the reallllly big sows you might consider live bait. In my opinion they look great for photos but the 10 pounders are much much better eating. If I'm going to pan fry or bake any of the fish the 19-20 inch fish are even that much better eating.
Kenner21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
I just go out and try to catch amberjack, grouper, or anything other than snapper....and end up with 15-20# snapper.

In all seriousness, they actually did get a little harder to find at the end of the season last year.

I was able to find a solid box on the last day by drifting off the structure a bit.

Also, work the spots that may not be directly out of the jetties. Run north or south a bit. They get less pressure than the easier spots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
as the season progresses, don't be afraid to try different baits/rigs. Last year I switched to a Carolina rig with 50lb flouro leader as my 100lb chicken rig wasn't getting bit and I became the only one on the boat catching fish. Also don't worry about large baits. A few weeks ago, I went out with some guys trying to get them on a large AJ since neither guy had caught a fish bigger than a bass...we had stopped and caught some hard tails that were 15-20 inches long...the sow snapper would crush these things! It's hard putting 20lb fish back...but it definitely showed me how big a bait they eat.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
uscgnazzario
Registered Users-pm+

uscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirateuscgnazzario has been promoted to Pirate
I really appreciate the input guys. Can I ask what size snapper slapper and vertical jigs you are using.
uscgnazzario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message