Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
wish2fish
DeadEyeDean

wish2fish has disabled reputation
Recommendation for Spinning Rod

Looking for a new spinning rod for my Stradic CI4 3000. Will be primarily used for popping corks and soft plastics. I was wanting to go with at least 7' but kind of wanted to try a 7'6" or longing than 7. Most of my rods are either 6'6" or 7' - medium/fast. This will be an out of the boat rod so not planning on using it much for wading.

I also wanted to try a medium light but not sure if that is wise with a popping cork. Looking for more sensitivity, great casting and something that can handle trout and slot reds. Probably fast or extra fast action but not really set on action.

I currently have an american rodsmith titanium H3 Ultra Max with recoil guides that is adjustable from 6'6" to 7' and I wonder if this adjustable is taking away from the sensitivity or feel. I bought it probably at least 5 years ago. I like the rod but wanted to see if there was something better for me.

I fish with either 20lb or 30lb pp or fins windtamer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Probably looking to keep it under 300$.

Last edited by wish2fish; 08-26-2018 at 11:47 AM.
wish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Look at Falcon. The Coastal series rods are nice. They also have spinning rods over 7’.

If you are throwing a cork, I suggest a least medium action rod. You’ll get more leverage to toss that bulky setup and you will swing/fling a cork a little farther with less effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
IN addition to what hJoe said, the med action for working a cork will require less energy in 'popping' it as well. You could go as high as med heavy if you are throwing a weighted cork and med to larger shrimp and or mullet. That's a lot of meat to sling and same thing, the med heavy will reduce the amount of energy you have to put into it to 'pop' it. You can get it done with the medium action, fast or extra fast tip though and that will be a little more fun for the fight and a little less weight.

With a popping cork rod, I wouldnt worry so much about sensitivity. The cork is eighther gone or not. If you are using it for other things.. the 2 peice only minimally reduces sensitivity. We have to remember that we use to use low grade glass rods to fish with and mono, even a good 2 piece graphite rod will out perform that by a long shot. Same goes for legnth throwing a cork you won't notice much between a 7 and 7'6. But if you're throwing live bait without a cork that's where the extra 6" can be noticed.

Falcons are good value, Lews makes a great rod in the TP1 TP1I70MFS (IM 8 graphite). If you wanted to go up a little in price and get the most sensitive blank they have the Custom lite speed sticks are sick for the price as it's an 85 million modulus blank with Winn grips. LCLMHS 7'0 M F
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
wish2fish
DeadEyeDean

wish2fish has disabled reputation
Thanks for the replies. I was considering a St. Croix Legend Tournament Inshore Spinning Rod LTIS70MF so I wanted to see what else was out there for the money.
wish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
MH for a popping cork application. I like the new TFO Inshore series, Shimano also has a new Gulf Coast GLF series rod ($90).
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
1TroutTodd
Registered Users-pm+

1TroutTodd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Laguna liquid MED/Heavy 7’ or 7’6” fantastic rod for the price ($160) also made in Katy Texas.

If you want to go all out they can make you a redfish special spinner that’s also a Med/heavy $300-350
1TroutTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
I have a 7'6" Waterloo Salinity with that same reel, love it!
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
jrg_80
Registered Users-pm+

jrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunnerjrg_80 has been promote to Gunner
Falcon BuCoo 7’

jrg
jrg_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
I'd take a slightly different approach if you are going to be throwing lures a bunch. The popping cork rods I use for big 3/4 oz popping corks are meat sticks. They aren't particularly fun to catch school trout on, IMO. They throw a cork well, pop a cork well and you can get a good hook set with them but there are rods you'll enjoy fishing a whole lot more. And they are definitely not good lure rods unless you are throwing 3/4 oz lures.

If you want a rod that is lighter, feels better and that you'll enjoy fishing lures with I'd recommend getting a medium action rod that is on the lighter end of the medium action range. The Falcon Coastal already mentioned is one. Their Coastal XG in 7'6" is a fairly light medium action rod. It works great with lures and does OK with big corks, but not great. But, you can buy smaller corks. There are some good 3" popping corks rigs out there that weigh 1/2 oz or so. I picked some up so that I can throw a cork on some of my lure rods and it works pretty dang well. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I'd say look at what you want to do the most. If you normally throw popping corks and live shrimp 90% of the time, get a heavier rod and make do the 10%. If you are split pretty even between throwing lures and corks you might enjoy a little lighter rod and throwing lighter corks better. I get the same results and can throw the 1/2 oz cork on an appropriate rod about as far as I can throw the 3/4 oz corks.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
Shalor96
Registered Users-pm+

Shalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
For throwing plastics and top waters, I have a Waterloo HP light and Laguna medium-light classic with a stradic 3000’s and this is a great set up. It is a little light for popping cork though. Sounds like you need 2 rods to me! I agree that the medium heavy is too much power for small trout, plus just wears your arm out.
Shalor96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message