2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Minn-Kota Ulterra Troubleshooting

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bozo 
#1 ·
I've had my 36v Ulterra for 1-2 years and it has been a dream to use, up until I messed up yesterday. I tried to deploy it via the remote, however I forget to unstrap the shaft from the stabilizer so it was locked down. I immediately got a "motor error" message on the remote. A quick google search gave me several options to reset it, but nothing worked. I just pulled the side panels off, and removed the positioning motor to get a better look at what may be happening. When I hit deploy I can hear something humming within the electronics, but nothing for the motor itself. Any ideas what to look at? Of course I would like to fix it myself to save the trouble of hauling it to a certified repair shop, but I've Googled and Youtube'd to no avail so am hoping someone here has dealt with this before.

Thanks,
Brandon

#7 ·
Per the Ulterra manual, Trim/stow reset procedure:
turn power off
turn power on
wait 3 seconds
press the power button 3 times within 2 seconds

If you use that lever on the side of the unit to manually stow the motor you will need to take it to the shop to have it reset. It's possible that trying to deploy the TM with it still strapped in forced that manual disconnect to separate (or whatever it is actually called) but the end result is you'll need to take it to an MK service shop.

#8 ·
Per the Ulterra manual, Trim/stow reset procedure:
turn power off
turn power on
wait 3 seconds
press the power button 3 times within 2 seconds

If you use that lever on the side of the unit to manually stow the motor you will need to take it to the shop to have it reset. It's possible that trying to deploy the TM with it still strapped in forced that manual disconnect to separate (or whatever it is actually called) but the end result is you'll need to take it to an MK service shop.
Thanks, but I've tried that reset procedure multiple times and it will not work...no flashing lights like it says.

I guess I need to find an authorized service center & just take it in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Does the unit even turn on? There may be a fuse internal on the circuit board. I've had mine apart a couple times but I just don't remember. Did you check the in line circuit breaker? Trip it and reset it. I'm just making guesses at easy stuff at this point.

Gulf Coast trolling motors inside FTU has treated me pretty good for service.

#10 ·
Does the unit even turn on? There may be a fuse internal on the circuit board. I've had mine apart a couple times but I just don't remember. Did you check the in line circuit breaker? Trip it and reset it. I'm just making guesses at easy stuff at this point.

Gulf Coast trolling motors inside FTU has treated me pretty good for service.
Yes the unit powers on and off like it should, but when trying to deploy I hear noise from inside where the circuit board is, but the motor does nothing. I even pulled the small motor off to make sure it wasn't in a bind and it still did nothing. I may dig a little deeper today, otherwise I need to take it in.

When taking to Gulf Coast will they take the boat or do I have to remove it from the boat for service?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
look on the curved part of the cradle where the motor rests when it has been stowed, there should be a squarish button that is supposed to pop up when the motor deploys. if it sticks down, then the motor deploys just enough to get out of the cradle and then does nothing else until you pop that button up. check that, if that isn’t it, i recommend fort bend boats as an authorized minn kota service center.

https://fortbendboats.com/motor-repair/services

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.