2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Pirates Beach Memorial Day Weekend

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  oscar@CBF 
#1 ·
I got lucky and ended up staying at a beach house down in Pirates Beach for the entire holiday weekend. Not the ideal location to do some surf fishing but the house sure was nice!
We showed up friday evening and hit the surf with the bait rods trying to catch some whiting for bait. Using a fish finder rig with peeled shrimp and fishbites we managed to catch several pesky hardheads and only a single small whiting from the second gut.
I hit the beach Staurday before sunrise and fished the high tide using cut bait in the first and second guts. The churned up surf was full of bait fish and scattered with seaweed. My first hook up was a strong bite followed by two powerful runs. I had a good ~3 minute fight and had just turned the fish when my #100 mono leader was busted. I had this same story play our twice more that morning. The surprise of the day was a 16" trout caught in the first gut on peeled shrimp and fishbites. I got off the beach before lunch and let the crowds have the beach. I fished the out going tide from 4pm - sunset only to catch large hardheads.
I was back out on the beach Sunday at sunrise armed with wire leaders and ready to land some toothy monsters. I was once more fishing a cresting high tide with bait fish in the surf and more seaweed than the day before. I used the head of a whiting in the second gut to catch a 41" bull red that put up a great fight with the help of the strong current. I was impressed with the dark copper color for such a large red. The bull red got to swim back into the sea but the same can't be said for the 25" slot red my girlfriend caught soon after. The slot red was also caught in the second gut on whiting. Once more I relinquished the beach to the tourist during the heat of the day. I had little to show for fishing the out going tide of the evening.
Monday morning was a blown out and rainy so we decided to call it a trip and head back home. Besides the trout I was also surprised at the difficulty I had catching whiting all weekend. Typically I can catch more than I want but at Pirates Beach this weekend they were hard to come by. I mainly fished with cut mullet due to lack on whiting supply, but both the reds were caught on whiting. Any helpful tips for catching whiting would be greatly appreciated. All in all this weekend was a success and everyone was more than impressed with the bull red.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.