F150 Ecoboost high miles - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
DEXTER
Registered Users-pm+

DEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to PirateDEXTER has been promoted to Pirate
What does drilling a hole in the intercooler supposed to do?
DEXTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
hog_down
Registered Users-pm+

hog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Pirate
It supposedly lets the oily condensation drain out of the intercooler, and it was a tiny hole, maybe 3/32. The majority of the aftermarket intercoolers for the Ecoboost have removable plugs, to drain the oily mess. Lots of people on Youtube and online forums suggesting the same.
hog_down is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
stumpgrinder3
Registered Users-pm+

stumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Pirate
My 2012 has 95k on the clock and I'm hoping for at least 60k more
stumpgrinder3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
K LoLo
Registered Users-pm+

K LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to PirateK LoLo has been promoted to Pirate
I just bought an F150 EcoBoost. I tried doing a lot of research. Most of the people who have had negative things to say, didn't own one. Or they "knew a guy".

I figure that Ford bet big with all these ecoboost engines (put them on everything from the focus to the Expedition), so I'm hoping for positive results.

I don't drive mine like a dog (I'm coming from a 2008 honda fit, so just kind of my learned driving style).

For those with success - did you do anything special? One poster mentioned the catch can. How many have done that? I think its probably more rare than normal.
K LoLo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
hog_down
Registered Users-pm+

hog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Pirate
I think regular maintenance is the key, personally. Every 6 months or so I run Seafoam injector cleaner through mine (3.5 liter motor). My MPG reading right now says 17.4 with city/partial highway driving.
hog_down is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Hearing these fairly high mileage reports raises my interests in the EcoBoost when different truck time gets here. For some reason I was worried a little about turbo failure also.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #17
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I just bought an F150 EcoBoost.

For those with success - did you do anything special? One poster mentioned the catch can. How many have done that? I think its probably more rare than normal.
Someone who knows more correct me if I’m wrong here. From what I’ve read/watched the catch can is mainly to snatch the oil out of the evap recirculating system thing. Sucking that oily air back into the intake causes buildup on the back of the intake valves.

The 3.5l ecoboost was direct injection only up till 2018 I think it was. Direct injection means you don’t get the solvent cleaning power of gasoline on the back side of those intake valves and buildup can occur. In 2018 they went to port and direct injection. This SHOULD help keep that buildup down.

Said that to say this, if you just bought a 2018 or newer ecoboost, I don’t think you have to worry as much about the catch can install.

To answer your question, I’d bet 90%+ of the F150 ecoboosts on the road do not have a catch can installed.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #18
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebassfisher View Post
Hearing these fairly high mileage reports raises my interests in the EcoBoost when different truck time gets here. For some reason I was worried a little about turbo failure also.
It’s on my mind, but turbo engines have been around forever. Heck, they use them in engines.

I feel if you don’t push the turbo and engine hard(tuning, bumping up the boost ect ect) they will last a good long while. There will always be a few that fail, but the majority will last a very long time.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #19
tbone2374
INFIDEL <;((((><

tbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
….Don't be worried, Donald... mine (3.5) has only 17,500, on it, and still smooth!
tbone2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
Sharpest
Registered Users-pm+

Sharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to PirateSharpest has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Me too. I went with a 5.0L on my 2013 for the sole purpose of simplicity and reliability. Might have to give the Ecoboost more consideration next time.
Sharpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message