Summer Sausage - Jalapeno / cheese recipes? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
texasGG
Reelrednecks Fishing Team

texasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to Pirate
Help Summer Sausage - Jalapeno / cheese recipes?

I've made home made sausage all my life. Smoked sausage, pan sausage, dried sausage so I know sausage but I have never made summer sausage. I want to make some. I have all the grinders and stuffers but I need the know how. I understand you need a heat resistant cheese? Fresh jalapenos? How do you process it? It dosen't look smoked really and I don't want a smoked taste just regular old summer sausage. Someone told me you bake it in low heat oven? Can anyone help me out?
texasGG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Nr1052
Registered Users-pm+

Nr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to GunnerNr1052 has been promote to Gunner
I made a batch of 25lbs first time last fall. Deer+pork fat (80/20). Seasoning and casings from Walton’s; used the high temp cheddar. Seasoned and let sit in fridge for 1 day before stuffing. Key was getting it to 165 when cooking - and then throw it in ice cold water to stop the cooking. Took about 10 hours to cook it all in the oven at 180. An electric or propane smoker probably would work well to. Lots of how toos on google and YouTube.

Anyways mine came out great. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nr1052 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
here's a LOT of info...
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sau...mented-sausage
kweber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Wes
Registered Users-pm+

Wes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to Pirate
I use Zach's summer sausage spice and recipe.

https://www.zachspice.com/how-tos

You can get the spice, hi-temp cheese, dried jalepeno flakes and casing at Allied Kenco.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/227.aspx

Use the mahogany fibrous casings and spend the money on the hog ring pliers and rings. It makes for a better looking product.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
txdougman
"Whatever one sows, he will also reap"

txdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Pirate
1 yr later...

DID YA GIVE A GO AT MAKING YOUR SUMMER SAUSAGE YET?

I USE 2 GRIND METHOD, COARSE 1ST, MIX SPICE AND CURE & FRESH JALAPENO'S. LET IT SET IN THE FRIDGE FOR 3 DAYS MIN. THEN 2ND GRIND W/SMALLER PLATE & ADD CHEESE,THEN STUFF MAHOG CASINGS 2.5 X 20". SMOKE AT 225 FOR 8-10 HRS OR TILL 155-165 INTERNAL TEMP. I LIKE TO USE PECAN WOOD. HOSE DN AFTERWARDS TO COOL TO 100, THEN PLACE IN FRIDGE TO CUT AND VAC PAK THE NEXT DAY.

I'm Partial to Zach's Spice Co summer spice, but used AC Legg's this year and like it too. You can use high temp pepper jack cheese or cheddar and fresh jalapeno's if you like. I use 1 jalapeno for every 5 #s or meat.

It is well worth the effort! You can't afford to have it made, LOL, cost an arm & a leg!
txdougman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
mcknzAlex
Registered Users-pm+

mcknzAlex is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Are you planning to create your own recipe @txdougman?
mcknzAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
tdgal
Registered Users-pm+

tdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Pirate
I use Zach's summer sausage seasoning, high-temp pepperjack cheese, whole pepper corns, and canned green chillies when making my summer sausage.
tdgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
txdougman
"Whatever one sows, he will also reap"

txdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknzAlex View Post
Are you planning to create your own recipe @txdougman?

If your asking about making my own spice mix, no. I 've used Zach's spice for years and it is hard to change away from a good thang, but just because I ordered from my cheese and some jerky spice mixes, I added the AC's summer spice to finish out the order.
txdougman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
djs303
Registered Users-pm+

djs303 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Here is a pretty simple recipe that my family likes.

5 lbs ground meat (I use 3 lb venison and 2 lbs pork)
5 Tbsp morton salt tender quick (found in dark blue bag in spice aisle)
2 Tbsp coarse ground pepper
1 tsp Red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp whole mustard seeds
Optional: 2 jalapeños seeded and minced

Place the stuffed summer sausage in the smoker and gradually increase the temperature gradually throughout the smoking process. The low temperature in the smoker gently cooks the sausage, preventing the fat from rendering out.

Suggest smoking at 140F for 2 hours, then at 160F for another 2 hours, then at 175F until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 155F. If your smoker temperature can't reach that low, smoke as close to 175F as you can until the sausage temperature hits 155F.

After smoking, rinse sausage in ice cold water to chill them and stop the cooking process. Bloom at room temp for a few hours or more before hitting the fridge. Vacuum seal and freeze.
djs303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message