LED flounder lights? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Yellow Mouth Chaser
Registered Users-pm+

Yellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to Pirate
LED flounder lights?

I saw a post earlier with some pic's of flounder boats and everyone is using 110 and 12v lights. Is there a reason that I don't see anyone using LED lights. Seems like the amp draw they would be a lot more efficient. I use LED lights when walking and they work great. My only guess would be that they don't cut through the water enough to be effective. We are about to rig out a buddies boat and can't decide which direction to go with this. Any input would be appreciated.
Yellow Mouth Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
That Robbie Guy
Swangin' and Bangin'

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillie View Post
I think LED lights are just being discovered for what they are.
It's getting there:
https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforu...d.php?t=458221
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
jgc
Registered Users-pm+

jgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
This thread is relevant to my interests. I can only make guesses.

1) LED's are still somewhat new. On the top of the food chain, metal halide and sodium vapor are very effective lights - they may just not be the most efficient anymore. While in the long run, we will probably slowly start seeing more and more LED's replacing them due to long term lower operating costs, in the short term - there are still a LOT of street lights, road lights, and sporting lights that have not been converted. Ultimately, cost/benefit here is the king - it costs more to replace a working light than you will save, just wait till it breaks then replace it.
2) Arrays that can actually replace the output of a 500 watt metal halide or sodium vapor are still quite expensive.
3) The push to put the lights underwater may be more to use the new tech than to see more fish. Water absorbs a LOT more light than air, even when the water is very clear. Add to that some really bad angles (the light is shinning nearly parallel to the surface you want to illuminate). Even after discounting the reflection of the overhead light - light shined perpendicular to the surface you want to illuminate will work a LOT better.

All of that is theory - but the fact is that tried and true methods are working and change is difficult and often expensive. I am starting from scratch - so hope I can find good evidence, rather than marketing, before I invest in a lighting solution.
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
jgc
Registered Users-pm+

jgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjgc has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Did a few clicks and noticed that Cree just came out with their own flavor of LED street light. The article mentioned a few interesting tidbits. They are stating 65% more efficient and less light pollution. Their new street lights are 25w and 42 watt and intended to replace 100 watt street lights. What is not said is that many street lights are more than 100 watts. I noticed another forum mentioning that many were 400 watts, and likewise found sites talking about HPS greater than 1000 watts. That site mentioned that the 400 watt street lights are putting out +50k lumens - where the new crees 2.7k and 4.1k (abet that seems off). Main issue here is that a 25 to 42 watt CREE is not going to put out the same light as a 400 watt HPS flounder light.

I have played with metal halide, florescent, compact florescent and led grow lights for my aquarium. LED is getting there - but it's not cheep yet. I really need to dig out my notes and start on the NEXT replacement light (as the led's I have now just don't cut it). Perhaps a pair of 60 watt arrays might get me close - but then I am back to putting the almost the same amount of energy I was using with the florescent and compact florescent - and will be having almost the same heat problems of the metal halide.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Yellow Mouth Chaser
Registered Users-pm+

Yellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to PirateYellow Mouth Chaser has been promoted to Pirate
I appreciate all the info guys. I think we will go with the tried and true method for now.
Yellow Mouth Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
DGAustin
Registered Users-pm+

DGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to PirateDGAustin has been promoted to Pirate
I tried compact fluorescents for flounder lights, but they were not durable enough. Been using HPS since.
DGAustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Smackdaddy53
Banned

Smackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to Pirate
Warm white above water for sure, cool white refkects more than penetrates

http://www.fishingscout.com/scouts/SmackDaddy
Smackdaddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Ya'll just buy one from Smack...his are awesome!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
jgc
Registered Users-pm+

I noticed the thread on plashlight's 2 row led light bar https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=520641. Now it's not intended as a floundering light, but I had to respect it's specs a bit 40 x 3 watt cree's. I am not reading his lumen numbers well though. At 120 watts, am betting it will at least come close to a HPS light in directed lumens, less amps at the expense of dollars though.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
jgc
Registered Users-pm+

fwiw found another sight with a similar products http://www.light-headed.net bet there are others out there as well. Still the cost of the crees and drivers add up.