Snapper Tips - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgnazzario View Post
I really appreciate the input guys. Can I ask what size snapper slapper and vertical jigs you are using.
https://matagordatackle.com/shop?ols...ter-pinkpurple

This is my go-to, and lands everything (Grouper, AJ, Snapper, Sharks, Kings, etc).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
I really appreciate the input guys. Can I ask what size snapper slapper and vertical jigs you are using.
As for jigs, it just depends on current and depth. I havent found one too big for them to eat.
I was dropping 14 and 16oz jigs (10-12" long knife jigs) for grouper, and getting bit by 15-20" snapper. I went big hoping I'd get past the snapper. I couldn't, even in 380' of water.

In shallow water, I'd go as light as the water would allow me. If I am only getting small fish, I'll go bigger. 150g-200g is probably my go-to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #13
MLBB
Registered Users-pm+

MLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMLBB has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
5-6 oz lime green snapper slapper with a hole sardine or cigar minnow

Drop to the bottom (If it makes it that far) then reel up 10’.

Same size Glow in the dark white for night fishing

And hold on tight!! Cause ya going to get tight!!

Just another tip: Bigger fish are farther away from the structure when looking for red snapper, at least that’s been my experience

One more tip: take off one of the assist hooks on the snapper slapper and save it for when the one gets chewed up!
Attached Images

Last edited by MLBB; 04-18-2019 at 10:03 PM.
MLBB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
blaze 'em
Registered Users-pm+

blaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirate
I'd try as hard as possible to get live bait.

Then go light. You dont need weedeater string to catch these guys.

This statewater fish are a croaker!!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
blaze 'em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #15
SaltwaterTom
Fat Hookers Fishing Team

SaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to Pirate
The reason I make my leaders out of 200 pound mono is because they get chewed up and you can catch fish over and over without them getting ruined. Later in the season I cut the hardware off and put it on new mono. love Snapper Slappers, but because I like to fish around heavy structure, that can get really expensive really quick. I find it that many times the little snapper will eat cigar minnows and sardines off of my rig before it gets a chance to get down to the big ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaltwaterTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #16
keywest244
Registered Users-pm+

keywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
My boys use jigs from Reef Hoppers out of El Campo. We use the Lohego in 300 and 400 gm. and use a single hook instead of a treble (easier to unhook)
https://www.reefhoppers.com/wp-conte...allery/trf.jpg

https://www.reefhoppers.com/product-category/lohego/
keywest244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Still dont know why folks put bait on lures. The fish are eating the bait and not the lure. Why buy the lures in the first place ? Take the bait off the lure and use it. You gonna catch lot less fish. Jus sayin.
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
I will also stop at the short rigs on the way out and try to jerk up some larger baits. I use chrome freshwater jigging spoon like what is used for whitebass on spinning gear. I cast and let it sink way down then jerk it like crazy all the way back to the boat.
That is one thing we are trying to get better at. I really want to try dropping down larger live bait for snapper and experiment.

Quote:
Mostly 5/7 oz. snapper slappers. Pink, chart, blue/white, red/white in that order. I have tried the purple/black ones without near as much luck.

For vertical jigs, 5-12 oz. are what I have with me. A mix of diamond, hammered, flutter, and knife. I haven't really found one working better than the other. All of mine glow so I make sure to lay them out in the sun before I start fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLIE View Post
Still dont know why folks put bait on lures. The fish are eating the bait and not the lure. Why buy the lures in the first place ? Take the bait off the lure and use it. You gonna catch lot less fish. Jus sayin.
No it won't. I've experimented a fair amount, mostly drifting.

SS with bigger bait catches mostly bigger snapper (generally).
SS with smaller bait catches mostly smaller snapper (generally).
SS with no bait doesn't catch much.
Smaller bait on circle hooks catches mostly smaller snapper.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #19
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Drundel

Thats pretty close regarding lures with and without attached bait.
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #20
mstang1988
Registered Users-pm+

mstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermstang1988 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
snapper

At the end of the last season they were more picky but down there in the right spots. They are easy to catch.

Fish finder rig works just fine. Dead bait or live bait. With live bait you are more likely to get an AJ. We use ~130lb/150lb fluro. I don't want to spend my day changing line and red snapper are not line shy. around here.

Butterfly jigs in various colors also work.
mstang1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message