Sam Houston National Forest - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Bow Hunting Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
RED_FISH_BAKER
BUST EM UP

RED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4 Sam Houston National Forest

Well don't have a deer lease this year so im going to Bow hunt the SHNF this year. Anyone hunt the National Forest I have read all the rules just never done it
RED_FISH_BAKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
capt mullet

capt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Pirate
I just started hunting it 5 or 6 years ago for hogs and last year I finally decided to go hunt deer and I saw a lot of deer and after my 7th trip I finally harvested one. I hunt from the ground and that puts me at a big disadvantage. I definitely suggest you hunt out of a tree stand. My early success the first year of deer hunting was because I had been hogging out there for a few years so I had at least 30 to 40 good full hunting days where I learned a lot about those woods and where to go. I also walked 60 to 80 miles in those amount of trips or more. So it isnt that easy especially with no baiting allowed. I had a few years of scouting to put me in the exact right spot.

I have never hunted during the weekend but I hear it can be crowded in the good areas. I am in a popular area and I always hunt during the week and there are always cars parked on the road where I park. I have never seen a hunter in the field and that is because I usually walk the farthest in. My trip back in is about 1.75 miles which sux because no matter what when I get to my ground blind I am always sweating. I hunt the lowlands near creek bottoms where acorns are prevalent. My area has a natural funnel made by contours and hills that push the animals down what it seems like a highway or major travel lane. It is amzing how many animals I have seen in this corridor over the years. Last year my first few trips were in the afternoons and I never saw a deer. Once I switched to mornings I was seeing deer daily and up to 10-12 sometimes. Usually by 10 or 11 am it is done and they are gone again.

I didnt see any hogs last deer season at all. But I usually see them in the last 30 minutes of legal shooting time in the afternoons. When I hunt hogs it is always the afternoons. Hope that helps!
Call or Text @ 832-338-4570
capt mullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
UnclePoPo
Registered Users-pm+

UnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to PirateUnclePoPo has been promoted to Pirate
I have never hunted the National Forest but have a good friend that hunted there for many years. He has since quit hunting there due to the amount of hunters. He usually hunted weekends and said there were people everywhere. Said he had several run ins with A-holes that didn't seem very safe. I am not sure how much bow hunting he did there though.
UnclePoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Try the Aransas wildlife refuge bowhunt. There are some giants in there that live and die without seeing a man.

Get the public lands permit and study those maps. Find some of the more obscure areas.

SHNF can be great or miserable depending on your expectations. But there are many many National Forestlands and Texas public land opportunities are actually very good.

I have three Pope and Young bucks shot off of public lands. A 140" 10pt, a 150" 11 pt bruiser, and a 160" 15pt. They were aged at 9, 8, and 8. And consider this. The first one i just happen to get lucky i think. I made some good guesses for the area and got in on him.

The other two i was very calculating. I hunted each of them for at least three years. I just kind of knew they were there. I knew i was in a giant bucks area....hunted them for three years and never saw them until the day i drew blood.

I have never owned a trail camera or feeder....its actual hunting.

And for what its worth shot one around thaksgiving and the other two around Christmas time....all with my bow.....during rifle season.....
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
capt mullet

capt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Piratecapt mullet has been promoted to Pirate
That is a very impressive list of big bucks off of public land. Those are TRUE TROPHIES in every sense of the word.
Call or Text @ 832-338-4570
capt mullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Mr. Saltwater
Registered Users-pm+

Mr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Try the Aransas wildlife refuge bowhunt. There are some giants in there that live and die without seeing a man.

Get the public lands permit and study those maps. Find some of the more obscure areas.

SHNF can be great or miserable depending on your expectations. But there are many many National Forestlands and Texas public land opportunities are actually very good.

I have three Pope and Young bucks shot off of public lands. A 140" 10pt, a 150" 11 pt bruiser, and a 160" 15pt. They were aged at 9, 8, and 8. And consider this. The first one i just happen to get lucky i think. I made some good guesses for the area and got in on him.

The other two i was very calculating. I hunted each of them for at least three years. I just kind of knew they were there. I knew i was in a giant bucks area....hunted them for three years and never saw them until the day i drew blood.

I have never owned a trail camera or feeder....its actual hunting.

And for what its worth shot one around thaksgiving and the other two around Christmas time....all with my bow.....during rifle season.....
Three trophies like that with a bow on heavily hunted public land is quite an accomplishment!!
Mr. Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #7
RED_FISH_BAKER
BUST EM UP

RED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to PirateRED_FISH_BAKER has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4

Thanks yall for your input I really appreciate it...I have been trying to study the land on the north end of Conroe and spoke to GW last week and was told it is legal to transport a deer by boat so I think to try to avoid all the people as much as I can im going to get to some spots with my john boat. If I killed one deer this year I would feel accomplished doe or buck, because like yall said no feeder or game cam is true hunting in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Tails-Up
Registered Users-pm+

Tails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to PirateTails-Up has been promoted to Pirate
Not a monster, but I shot this buck last year on the Sam.
Attached Images

Tails-Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
pelochas
Registered Users-pm+

pelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Piratepelochas has been promoted to Pirate
2nd year there. yesterday friend invited to go early morning hog hunting. didnt see any hogs. did find some good tracks, persimmons, and muscadines on the floor, deer were just there.
pelochas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #10
RED_FISH_BAKER
BUST EM UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails-Up View Post
Not a monster, but I shot this buck last year on the Sam.
That's a pretty nice buck I would sure be pretty proud of myself I shot something like that the first year I was out there...I am hoping sine I getting to the NF by boat that I'll have a better chance of shooting a decent deer and not running into a hole lot of people.