Tuna Poppers - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
baitbig
Registered Users-pm+

baitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Pirate
Tuna Poppers

Hey guys. I'm starting get into the topwater action for tuna and mahi and amberjack and wanted to know what plugs you use and do you change out the hooks or rings and which ones are the best quality.

I'm heading back to Venice during Labor Day and have a couple spinner 8000 that I want to use for topwater.

Thanks for the help
baitbig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
HiggsBoson
Registered Users-pm+

HiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to Pirate
As far as out of the box fishability and affordability I would recommend the OTI Komodo and Wombat poppers. Both come with Raptor 4x hooks and rings and will run you around $22-25/each. I also recommend the Halco 130 for a stickbait to try throwing. On those you will want to upgrade at least the hooks if not both hooks and rings. I bent the stock hooks on a 60 lb YFT. Halcos run around $14/each. Another good affordable option is the Jigging World Bulldog popper. I have used them a few times as well and have been pleased with the results. Those come unrigged so you will have to buy hooks and rings, but not a big deal if you were going to change them out on a stock lure anyway. You can fully rig them for about the same price as the OTI lures.

HB
HiggsBoson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
baitbig
Registered Users-pm+

baitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Piratebaitbig has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome thanks for the info. I saw the Komodo and they look nice and I saw the jigging world ones too and I kind of like how they come with rings and hooks. I like to modify my stuff sometimes. I've had trebles in my fingers before and will never use trebles on them again for sizable fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
baitbig
Registered Users-pm+

Sorry Jigging World don't come with hooks and rings, a plus for me.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
doughboy361
Registered Users-pm+

doughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Piratedoughboy361 has been promoted to Pirate
http://www.jdmtackle.com/product_vie...roduct_id=2065
doughboy361 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
t-astragal
Registered Users-pm+

t-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Pirate
Don't forget the Maguronis. Also this year I've noticed smaller poppers are doing better. Yozuri sashimi bull and tuna Hunter jr work good. And btw $25-30 per lure is about my limit. The fish don't care.

Steve
t-astragal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
baitbig
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to order about 8-10 from Jigging world and put my own rings and hooks on them.

I've lost the high dollar poppers as well and it sucks when you lose a 50 dollar lure, yet the last one I still have is 15 dollar one. Just wanted to make sure they'll hold against bigger yft.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #8
red34

red34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Pirate
You shouldn't have to upgrade the components on our poppers or Maguroni lures unless you want to switch to singles
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
HiggsBoson
Registered Users-pm+

HiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to PirateHiggsBoson has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by red34 View Post
You shouldn't have to upgrade the components on our poppers or Maguroni lures unless you want to switch to singles

I agree. That is why the OTI poppers and stick baits comprise the bulk of my lures. I was talking about the Halco lures having substandard stock hooks and rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiggsBoson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
J.R
Registered Users-pm+

J.R is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
We did well out of venice last fall using poppers from www.strikertackle.com They have good deals on the popper sets.
Attached Images

J.R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message