Question about Avet Reels - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Rufneck
Registered Users-pm+

Rufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Question about Avet Reels

I am looking for a light weight reel for jigging. I am considering the Shimano Torium 16, Accurate Boss (or Accurate Fury) and any of the Avet reels. When I look on the Avet website, it states that the reels are casting reels. I could obviously fish with them any way I want, but why do they call them casting reels when their competition calls them jigging reels?

1. Is there anything about them that makes them better at casting that the other reels I have mentioned?

2. Is there anything inherent in their design that would make them not suitable for jigging or dropping down a live piggy perch in 300 feet of water?
Rufneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
jamesw
Registered Users-pm+

jamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Pirate
Casting reel is a west coast term for a lightweight spool reel that you can use to throw surface iron (like a Tady 45) or a popper for tuna and yellowtail.

If you're just going to be jigging straight up and down you don't need a casting reel like a boss fury - you should go with something bigger. My opinion only.

James
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to Pirate
I have reeled up a big YFT and several BFT without problem with my Avet LX one speed.
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
I have a Torium 16 and an Avet, but no Accurates. I use both for jigging. When fishing in 300 or 400 ft, I prefer the Torium 16. It has the speed, drag, and capacity that works best for me. Both reels are fairly lite weight and easy to jig with for long periods. I tend to use my Avet more in shallower and for other than tuna and AJs, but that's just me.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
lulurage
Registered Users-pm+

lulurage is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Take a look at Seigler reels. Small but boy do they pack a punch.
lulurage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
[email protected]

Allan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to PirateAllan@Seekfishing.com has been promoted to Pirate
I personally don't like a star drag for speed jigging so I would not use a torium. Look at Talica 20 or 25 or an Accurate fury 500 both will work well for vertical fishing,pitching, and chunking both have very loud clickers unlike the Avet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
979-341-9353 Clute
Allan@Seekfishing.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
buckmaster133
Registered Users-pm+

buckmaster133 has disabled reputation
Avet

I have several Avet’s, but I really don’t like them for jigging, the anti reverse makes a clicking noise, every time you pull up on the rod it clicks, just a personal thing maybe, but they are great! I use them for snapper,
buckmaster133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
I have two Avets for jigging and love them both. One is the HXJ I use for larger fish like tuna and AJ's and an SX 6/4 MC Raptor that I use for snapper. Both are new within the last year and don't have the clicking noise suggested above. I have a Diawa BG6500 spinning reel on a Daiwa Saltist rod (rated for 60-8lb braid) that I use for jigging too.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
lite-liner
Sea kitten serial killer

lite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Piratelite-liner has been promoted to Pirate
I have owned/fished just about every US-built reel out there. Avet does not design their reels to be jigging-specific. I love my HX-2 for chunking & bottom, but previously Avets had too much "slop" to effectively speed-jig. if you are looking for a vert. jigging-specific reel, they are out there.
specifically the Shimano Ocea Jigger & Trinidad models, available in 1500-5000 sizes, is probably the best reel out there for this niche-style of fishing.
With the advent of "slow-pitch" vertical jigging, other makes have come into the fold as well. Maxel, Jigging Master (same reel, different brands) are also very strong pieces.
if you like lever-drag really can't go wrong with an Accurate Bx-400x, been jigging with mine for 10 years with only 1 bearing failure in dozens of trips

Last edited by lite-liner; 01-29-2019 at 12:25 PM.
lite-liner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
buckmaster133
Registered Users-pm+

buckmaster133 has disabled reputation
I guess the word I was looking for is slop on speed jigging, when you speed jig with a Avet the ant reverse backs up and inch or so and that is what causes the click, but like lite liner said not great for speed jigging, and this is not just mine they all have a little give in the anti reverse, take the reel apart and you can see it
buckmaster133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message