Painting lead weights... - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #1
Drifter
Registered Users-pm+

Drifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to Pirate
Painting lead weights...

I know that a can of spray paint will work. What are some other ways to do it?

Thanks

Drifter
Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
troutalex33
Registered Users-pm+

troutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Piratetroutalex33 has been promoted to Pirate
Powder coating weights netcrafters has everything and youtube . I use heat gun and dip weight in powder and then dry in oven . Not really hard once set up correctly and fun to do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troutalex33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
2thDr
Registered Users-pm+

2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate
painting weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutalex33 View Post
Powder coating weights netcrafters has everything and youtube . I use heat gun and dip weight in powder and then dry in oven . Not really hard once set up correctly and fun to do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with above. Very easy, cheap, durable. Jig heads, even spoons. Let your imagination go wild. Doesn't work out so well with Corkies though, unless you like them melted. oops.
2thDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to Pirate
If you just have a dozen or 2 to do to me it's not worth the powder coating route. I bought a jar of acrylic art paint from Walmart for a buck to paint my kingfish rig weights and it works better than spray paint. Key is to clean the weights off first with alcohol.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Powder coating is easier than painting IMO. Heat them up, dip them and as soon as they cool enough to be handled they are done. The downside of powder coating is that the stuff I have used chips and then flakes off easily and paint seems to be more durable.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
troutsupport
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Im not even sure it's worth to do at all.. I've never seen a difference in catch rate with color of the head. The weight of the head and other variables probably help the presentation and putting it in front of fish more than just the color. Grey seems to work fine for me. That said.. if coloring them helps your confidence then by all means color away. Confidence helps us present the bait better and be more ready when we get a strike.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Since when does anything in the lure business have to make sense or make a difference to catching fish?

Years ago I use to like to paint all my jigheads red thinking it kinda represented gills on a baitfish. A flash of red. Same idea as the guys who like red hooks. So I use to paint them red and then Colorite came out with their powder paints for leadheads and I started using that. They were clear and had glitter in them and they had about a hundred color combinations. That is where I started doing the powder coat deal. It's been years since I painted or powder coated a leadhead.

The OP didn't say what kind of weights he is painting. I just used the example of jigheads since that is what I have experience with.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
Drifter
Registered Users-pm+

Drifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to PirateDrifter has been promoted to Pirate
Back in the day tbey used to sell torpedo weights painted hot pink. We would use those under a popping cork with live shrimp. Have not seen those in years. I watched a youtube video. Ordered the supplies and will post some pics when done.

Thanks

Drifter
Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Back in the day tbey used to sell torpedo weights painted hot pink. We would use those under a popping cork with live shrimp. Have not seen those in years. I watched a youtube video. Ordered the supplies and will post some pics when done.

Thanks

Drifter
One of the old salts I grew up fishing with uses orange ones and has for as long as I can remember. At one time he couldn't find them anymore and I painted a bunch of them up for him. He still uses them under regular unweighted popping corks.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
Im not even sure it's worth to do at all.. I've never seen a difference in catch rate with color of the head. The weight of the head and other variables probably help the presentation and putting it in front of fish more than just the color. Grey seems to work fine for me. That said.. if coloring them helps your confidence then by all means color away. Confidence helps us present the bait better and be more ready when we get a strike.
I agree with ya on inshore stuff. I've never found any difference between a plain and pink jig head. I do think it can make a difference offshore. For kings and spanish it seems to give them something to aim for especially on a live or dead bait rig and prevents them from cutting the wire as often.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message