Goose Hunters Your Thoughts - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #11
Jkmoore03
Registered Users-pm+

Jkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to Pirate
The true art of waterfowling is knowing how and where to set up, and how to work the birds. I know it’s legal to crawl up on them and blast into the ground, but you’re not really waterfowl hunting at that point. You’re just shooting into a feed or roost. Anyone can do that, but not everyone can fool them into landing on top of you. There’s no bigger rush than having a big goose (or dozens of geese) trying to back peddle in mid air bc he just had that “oh shiznit” moment when he realized he just fawked up. That’s the high that keeps you coming back for more.

Just my opinion guys. As the OP said, I’m not throwing stones at anything that is legal. I just truly enjoy the sport of waterfowling and getting birds to decoy.
Jkmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #12
buckweet
Registered Users-pm+

buckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Pirate
Did the skillet shot plenty as young man. Don’t think you could pay me now to do it . Heck Sammy , I would pay just to see you crawl in the mud for couple hundred yards, and not in dry irrigation canal!
buckweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
Bullitt4439
Registered Users-pm+

Bullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to Pirate
Used to do it and other methods all the time to kill mass numbers. Like someone else said, its fun to crawl up next to thousands of geese. The noise is amazing.

Think my best was 35 in 3 shots. Good times. About the only way to kill a good number of snow geese on the prairie anymore. Not really into setting up 5-8k decoys from 3 am till daylight to watch birds bump the spread and shoot 10 if extremely lucky.
Bullitt4439 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #14
Whitecrow
I once killed two stones with one bird..

Whitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWP View Post
...........When you got geese falling out of the sky a half mile downrange, that is not right.
Go on youtube and watch some of the caller hunts on there. 10 guys with extended tubes magdumping big spins of snows. Saw one the other day the guys said they each shot a flat of ammo..........that's 2500 rounds in one hunt. Like I said, it's not about the tundra anymore.
Whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #15
reel thing
Registered Users-pm+

reel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Pirate
I was on FM 362 by Waller and saw about 300 snows in a green field along the rd ,but not really that many. Saw a few canadas that stay year round at my sister in laws out in the country by Waller. About 10 stay year round.
reel thing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #16
dwilliams35
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.

dwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWP View Post
This, when I was younger it was fun, but honestly I cringe at the thought of cleaning anything over 10 geese now.

Plus, you get so much collateral damage on cripples with sneaks. When you got geese falling out of the sky a half mile downrange, that is not right.

This... for every one you drop on these things, there's likely to have been 5 more birds that caught a pellet and you're sending them off to die a long painful death from infection or whatever.. up until the coyote gets them because they can't fly anymore. I did it when I was younger, just like a lot of people, but no way I'd do it anymore. I just have my doubts that it would sit well with my maker..
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #17
phishtales
Registered Users-pm+

phishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Piratephishtales has been promoted to Pirate
I dont shoot geese on the ground except cripples. That said, I have seen a lot of birds wobble away from a spread over the years. It happens. BBs just dont have discernment. They wound geese in the air and on the ground. I am not sure that my maker has commented on that particular activity. Besides.....where is anyone finding enough geese down here to creep up on these days? I guess where two or more are gathered.

Last edited by phishtales; Yesterday at 09:00 AM.
phishtales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #18
Mojo281
The Migration Stops Here

Mojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to Pirate
So to summarize... Crawling a roost is a young man's game. Older guys who have done it plenty in their life now like to decoy birds.

I think you can leave the cripple discussion out of it, bc there is always gonna be crippled birds in waterfowl hunting. And if you think that the feds don't factor cripples into setting daily bag limits then you don't give enough credit into the science behind it.

I don't really enjoy snow goose hunting or eating snow geese so yall can have them all!!
Mojo281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #19
grand poobah

grand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirategrand poobah has been promoted to Pirate
Geese

Thanks 2coolers

This was the constructive comments I was hoping to see when I posted this thread.

I think I'll run for president. LOL