Henry Rifles - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
texcajun
Registered Users-pm+

texcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Pirate
Henry Rifles

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Henry lever action Big Boy in either the .357 or .45LC. This would mostly be a plinking gun with an occasional hog hunt thrown in.

I like the idea of the .357 because it would be a good excuse to get a matching wheel gun later on. Plus I could shoot the cheaper .38 special when I’m punching holes in paper.

I suspect both would put down pigs with a well placed shot at under 100 yards. But one might be better than the other.

Would love hear some opinions.
texcajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Jkmoore03
Registered Users-pm+

Jkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to Pirate
Go with the .357. For the reasons you listed it’s more versatile than the .45LC being able to shoot .38’s out of it. The .357 is more than capable of cancelling out a hog. The .45LC is cool but harder to find ammo for. And a lot that you find are the cowboy action loads that aren’t worth a flip for hunting (loaded really light). I have a Ruger Vaquero .45LC and it’s fun to plink with. I also have a .44mag rifle and wish I had the .357 version to match my S&W 686 plus.

Henry’s are great levers too!
Jkmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
cva34
Registered Users-pm+

cva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Pirate
HENRY is great and made in USA
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
Cheetah Mike
Registered Users-pm+

Cheetah Mike is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I got the 45 because I had a 45 Vaquero. The Henry can be loaded pretty hot, I think to about 1200 fps with 255 jacketed HP. Ammo is expensive $40+ per box. However, handloads are no different in other ammo. The 45 makes a BIG hole!
I replaced the bbl mounted buckhorn sights with a receiver mounted peep.

Bottom line, fun gun to shoot.
Cheetah Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I'm a 44 mag fan. Rifle and matching blued Ruger Redhawk. With leverevolution ammo a 44 mag rifle is devastating to Texas deer and hogs to 150 yards or so.

Last edited by Sgrem; 11-04-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2020, 11:56 PM   #6
coachlaw
Done Wit Dat

coachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Pirate
Man, I just sold my dad's .357 mag Big Boy on here recently. It was a really cool gun. Very slick. It was pretty heavy for its size, so there was little recoil at all, even with .357 +P ammo. I agree with the .357 being more versatile. .44 Mag would be great, but I am no fan of shooting those out of pistols. My wrist hurts thinking about it. I know, I have girly wrists. LOL.

Some of the new ones have a side loading gate, which is the reason I sold Dad's. I like the tube magazine loading, but it's somewhat cumbersome. Adding a side loading gate really ups the useful/handiness factor.
coachlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
MechAg94
Registered Users-pm+

MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I would go 357 Mag simply because you have more ammo choices available at most stores that sell ammo. 45 Colt is less available and most of the stuff you see is cowboy action loads. If you reload, that may not be an issue.

I got a Henry X Lever in 44 Mag. I like it a lot. Not near as heavy as the octagon barrel models.
MechAg94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
Pocketfisherman
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
If you reload your own ammo, the 45LC if far more versatile. It can be loaded mild with light bullets and Trailboss or similar powders, or up to above 44mag energy levels with heavier bullets and magnum type powders.
Pocketfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 11:04 PM   #9
Dipsay
Registered Users-pm+

Dipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to Pirate
I've done just what you're suggesting.
Got a Henry Golden Boy .357 and a Ruger Vaquero .357
Don't shoot .38 through the Henry unless they're +P loads.
They no likey. Doesn't like em. Doesnt pattern for ****.
.357 or .38+P loads..drive tacks
Dipsay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #10
MechAg94
Registered Users-pm+

MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MechAg94 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I would have said 357 Mag, but I got a Henry last year in 44 Mag.

The only other suggestion is to look at the Henry models that have a loading gate.
MechAg94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message