Onions - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Postman
Registered Users-pm+

Postman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to Pirate
Onions

Onions froze off half of the tops. Rest still green. Will they come back or should I till them under?
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
I believe they will come back...but time will tell. Definitely don't till 'em under or replant yet.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Postman
Registered Users-pm+

Postman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks, will leave them a couple weeks or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #4
Postman
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks, will leave them a couple weeks or so.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I am not going to dig mine up. I am going to wait. I also took succors and trimmed the dead mush off of them. It took a while to trim 300 onions but I wanted to see if that would help. I was surprised at the mustard greens. Froze the tops and did not hurt the little new shoots. I have been trimming them but that is taking some time.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
Postman
Registered Users-pm+

It nearly liquefied my mustard greens, they were beautiful but needed to go, couldn't eat enough of them or give any more away. Replant in a couple weeks..
Old 02-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
The thing is, Postman, greens are easily replaced....onions, not so much.

If you love those big bulbed, hamburger covering slicers, like we do, they have to have the winter in the ground to establish the roots required to make a 2 pound bulb.

Its simply too late to replace 1015s now and expect big bulbed onions. Maybe some green onions for munching and salads but too late for the big bulbs that will store for many months.

Let's hope they rebound!
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I trimmed my mustard greens and will probably have greens to eat in a couple weeks. The little leaves under everything looked good. I could not give away greens or bok choy before the freeze. People would say are they picked or they would say we will be there tomorrow and never show. Yeh they be on the list for no more free stuff. My turnips are about 2 to 3 inches tall and were covered with snow. They look like nothing happened. I like greens but planted too many and only have about 7 or 8 week window and they will be removed for spring crops so I left them. A couple of my biggest blue bananas look like they are going to make it. Sure was looking forward to some blue bananas at the end of the summer.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #9
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Some, a few anyway, of my 1015 onions are now putting on some new healthy looking growth. These had been looking good prior to the big freeze and been out there since Thanksgiving or so. Wasn’t sure what to do with them now, most all looked dead a couple of days after the big freeze or at least severely damaged. If there’s a chance they will bulb up in April I guess I should leave them in, no hurt leaving them in for a couple of weeks to see if they can bounce back. But, most everything I had out there got massacred. The bloomsdale long standing spinach still seems barely alive and is once again growing a little. Carrots are putting on some new growth. Hoping more of the onions come back to life.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #10
nikki
Registered Users-pm+

nikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Pirate
was able to can 3 qts of beets from expected 10, onions ?? covered bout 125 and most remained green but beaten down, the other 125 down and brown so we'll see. Peaches ? some had leaves and small peaches, dead, other just budding. Today 78 so it's 70 deg higher than 1 week ago.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message