HPXT Length and brand push pole - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Golden
Registered Users-pm+

Golden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to Pirate
So I too recommend the hybrid, a little more weight but I believe a little less prone to snapping under load. I bought my first used "Stiffy Hybrid" from Billy Sanderfer at Austin Shallow water fishing show back in 2003. It was A 22' footer that I had to tie down to the front and rear bumpers of an old suburban my brother had to get it to my boat down in POC. You know if it was Billy's it had the good JuJu! Now here's the rest of the story.

Fishing two years ago with buddy who was poling my boat for me and we decided to re-locate. He put the pole into the holders backwards (with Y in the back). I preach to all not to do this because if you make a tight turn at speed in your boat the Y end can catch your wake and pull the pole right out of the holders. This is a fact! He said to me "I'll keep an eye on it don't worry" and so I off we went. When we arrived at our new location I noticed the pole was GONE. My bud was in shock that he didn't see or hear it come out of the pole holders. We looked for over two hours and could not find it.

The next week I bit the bullet and ordered a new pole from Stiffy. They had a new Hybrid in stock and so off we (buddy and I) go to Corpus the following week, boat in tow, to pick up the new one. We then drove back to POC to meet up with some other fly fishers for dinner. Everybody who fished that day had some great stories about their catches. But one dude stands up and says nobody caught anything close to as big as he did that day. Knowing him well and where he always likes to fish (Pringle Lake), I looked over to my partner and winked. I said I've got a "hundie" that says I know what you caught. Man he jumped all over that bet. I told him you found a Stiffy hybrid push pole didn't you! You could see the air come right out of his sails, "er ummm er" he starts stammering. How'd you know! It's mine, its the one that John lost here two weeks ago!

Now here's the even better part of the good Billy S. JuJu. He was going to pay the bet and since I had just bought new one, I sold the old one to John for $200.00 more than I paid Billy fifteen years ago! No I didn't make him pay the bet after all he's my Dentist. So they (Stiffy poles) last for years especially if you keep them inside for storage, and lightly sand and coat it every two years with clear urethane spray to keep the fibers from getting all in your hands and arms. That pole is still serving its time on the Texas Coast! Thanks Billy where ever you are!
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement