tunnel or no tunnel skiff - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
SeanSFA
Registered Users-pm+

SeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to Pirate
tunnel or no tunnel skiff

Im looking at buying my first skiff and plan on fishing from sabine to corpus. Poc/CC being the main focus. any advice would be greatly appreciate.
SeanSFA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
I have fished both. Each have their advantages. Tunnel boats tend to cost more and you give up some performance. If you are looking for a poling skiff, how well it tracks and draft is more important. If you are looking to run shallow tunnel is ussual
If I was to rate a boats capability I would ,look for polling first, then draft , then ride(dry and smooth), finnally shallow running(tunnel).

As stated in several other threads all boats are a compromize. If you are going to pole get one that poles well, if you are going to run across big bays get one that runs smooth and dry. If you get out and wade, a shallow running boat my be the best choice.
Bottom line get a boat that fits your style of fishing. A tunnel never hurts but may not help enough to cover the extra cost.

P.S. Don't be too upset if your first boat isn't perfect. It usually takes two or three boats before you get what you really want. But don't let that stop you, get a boat and start fishing and you will learn what you really want in a boat. Then trade up until you get what you really want.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #3
TxRedman
Registered Users-pm+

TxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to PirateTxRedman has been promoted to Pirate
I had a Mitzi with no tunnel for a few years fishing out of Rockport Aransas Pass area. If I went back into a skiff in that area it would no doubt be with a tunnel. I agree it needs to pole well but if it runs shallow you can stay in more protected waters and ride will matter a little less. Expect to get wet if it’s windy. The other thing about the tunnel is it’ll get you out of more situations on the flats than a non tunnel without damaging the grass beds or
Your prop on shell. It’s not a catch all but it certainly helps. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TxRedman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
Having fished in the LLM for a few years now in my non-tunnel skiff, I think I would have to agree w/ TxRedman. A tunnel boat should perform on plane better than a boat like mine, since it should slide less in turns. As far as poling goes, I'm betting a tunnel would track at least as well as a typical non-tunnel. "Ease of poling" is a function of weight distribution, more than anything else. A boat that rides level in the water, with everyone in their fishing/poling positions, will be the easiest to pole. Incidentally, this is why I am trying to keep my 2-stroke as long as possible. Keeping an extra 80-100 lbs. (of a 4-stroke) off the stern, really helps, especially when I am alone. I don't think they make them anymore, but maybe you can find a used 17 ft. Maverick HPXT. I've seen one down here and it got me to drooling just a bit.

If you do decide on a non-tunnel hull, I strongly recommend trim tabs.....because they will help keep the bow down during your hole shot.

Last edited by Permit Rat; 02-07-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
SeanSFA
Registered Users-pm+

SeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks Yall--I am buying a 2014 MPXT. I can't wait to get out on the water and learn
Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
seadave
Registered Users-pm+

seadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseadave has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Tunnel
seadave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
FlyGuide
Registered Users-pm+

FlyGuide is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Tunnel or no Tunnel

Tunnel will help you get out of shallow water, but a Vented tunnel will run better than a non vented.
Other thought, will you fish by yourself or always with a friend or even 2 friends?
FlyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
SeanSFA
Registered Users-pm+

I bought a 2013 HPXT
Old 03-30-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
sea hunt 202
Registered Users-pm+

sea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Piratesea hunt 202 has been promoted to Pirate
good info
sea hunt 202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message