Push pole length - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
brad king
Registered Users-pm+

brad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Pirate
Push pole length

What length push pole are use guys using? Adding a 21' Stiffy hoping that's enough length
brad king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
jfnelson
Registered Users-pm+

jfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjfnelson has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
That's what I have. Don't have much experience with it yet, not real comfortable up on the platform. Came with my Ankona Copperhead.
jfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
3-4' longer than the boat depending on the height of your platform and the bottom you are poling in. Gooey mud bottom might be 1.5' deep before you get a push versus hard sand.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Tarpon1
Registered Users-pm+

Tarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to PirateTarpon1 has been promoted to Pirate
I have a 22' stiffy and an 18' boat, tall platform and muddy bottom where I usually fish and it's just right. If I fished down in the LLM all the time I might get by with a 20' stick. But its better to have the extra length and not need it than need the extra length and not have it (that's what she said anyway...)
Tarpon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
brad king
Registered Users-pm+

brad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Piratebrad king has been promoted to Pirate
thanks Guys. 21' Hybrid mounted and ready for Friday Morning!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Cavjock97
Registered Users-pm+

Cavjock97 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
21' is a great length for most situations. The tarpon guys in Florida will often have longer because they are fishing in much deeper water than we typically do here in Texas. I had broken my 21' Extreme so many times that it was 18' when I replaced it. It was sure handy and was perfect 90% of the time, but there were times when I needed the extra length.

-CJ97
Cavjock97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
redfishcannon
Registered Users-pm+

redfishcannon is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Fiberglass poles SO MUCH heavier than graphite. Any place to find graphite poles less than 21 feet at good price?
redfishcannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
Golden
Registered Users-pm+

Golden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to Pirate
You have asked the same question(s) that periodically pops up on here year after year. You might look back in the forum archive (if there is one) and see what others have said. I will tell you the best poles on the Texas coast are the Stiffy brand. Best value is their Hybrid. Very user friendly, not heavy, don't store outdoors in the sun for extended periods. Require periodic surface maintenance, (lightly sand to remove exposed fiberglass fibers, wipe down with acetone, spray even coat of clear urethane, and let dry - do this about every three years and you will be good to go.)

If you can, the best way to purchase is to order direct with Stiffy (not dealer) and go and pick it up when ready (Corpus Christi). Take your boat so you can carry in push pole holders on your deck. Or purchase new holders and install or have installed while you are there. Don't tie down to top of a truck if you can help it. All kinds of bad can happen that way. Also bite the bullet for their platform mounted push pole holder. Little expensive but you'll thank me later. Another heads up. Do not store your push pole for long term in the deck holders either, that tends to put a permanent bend in the pole. Store the pole either flat or if you have the room vertically. Nothing worse than an expensive bent push pole. If you ever break the pole, Stiffy has a repair kit that works like a charm. Broke my old hybrid in half once. Repaired it and got another six years of no problem use. Sold my ten year old repaired pole for 200.00 to my best friend or I would have sold it for no less than 500.00.

Oh yeah I forgot. First thing you want to do is have your wife or girlfriend learn how to pole the boat, you'll have to put up with going round and round for awhile but the benefits are way too many to explain here! GOOD LUCK!
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
All good info above. Let me add one little pearl of wisdom about poling a boat. Wear some gloves with a little texture in the palm to give you some extra grip. It really helps reduce hand fatigue on those long pushes where you are constantly on the pole to keep the boat moving in the right direction.

My personal favorites are the Simms gloves with leather palms. They are a little pricey but even a good pair of snug fitting rubbery textured garden/work gloves will really help.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
brad king
Registered Users-pm+

i bought the 22' stiffy hybrid a few months ago and its perfect, thanks for all the help guys