Intrested in fly fishing - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #21
Worm Drowner
Registered Users-pm+

Worm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
I don’t like fishing while sitting very much so I almost always stand in the kayak or wade. Some or many kayaks aren’t very good for standing up while fishing, though.
AT 6'6" and 280# with an artificial hip, I'm as graceful as a water buffalo on roller skates. I don't even daydream about standing up in a kayak and I have a Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game (1st generation).

If the bottom is firm, stake the kayak out and wade, but be careful if the bottom is muddy. I almost got completely stuck in Sabine lake a few years back when I got out and sunk over my knees!
Worm Drowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Yes, been there, done that and not a fan of wading thigh deep mud. Wading is enjoyable on firm substrates, though. I love wading the surf and have waded firm spots like Christmas Bay, West Matagorda and parts of East Matagorda bay. Most of the Freeport area is a death trap of gooey mud and razor sharp shell.

I’ve never liked the hip/waist mounted stripping baskets and find wading without those very doable as long as I’m a little careful about it. Fly fishing allows for work arounds, improvisation, and a lot of personal touches. You can do it the way it makes sense to you.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
That 8 wt Sage will work great with a Rio Redfish floating line and 20# Dacron backing, no need for braided backing for redfish. Keep the flies simple, redfish aren’t picky and they have very poor eyesight, your not dealing with a Permit in gin clear water.
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #24
cody1614
Registered Users-pm+

cody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnercody1614 has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Cool thanks for the info guys. I had a certified instructor come show me so.e cast and form

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Tapatalk
cody1614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #25
DonH
Registered Users-pm+

DonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Texasflag4 When to fish weighted fly line. on a 8-10 wt fly rod.

Use a good weight Fwd floating fly line for swallow water.. with a 8' to 10'- 12 to 15lbs tippet for trout and reds. If fly fishing over ten feet of water go to a sink tip line. I drift blind fly fishing most of all the time and do well. mostly in 1 to3 feet of water..

Last edited by DonH; 11-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.
DonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #26
DonH
Registered Users-pm+

DonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDonH has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
another way to improve or get some ideals on fly casting.. Google all of the fly casting for beginners, Watch as many different instructors, each one is a little different, this is a good learning base on casting. Then practice, practice in back yard or on a field some place. Good Luck! Or you may come spend the afternoon with me on fly casting instructions. I have taught my neighbor's son how to fly cast, my grandkids, friends kids.
DonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message