Ball Joints!!!! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Tail Chaser
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1

Tail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to PirateTail Chaser has been promoted to Pirate
Ball Joints!!!!

For the life of me, I can't get the dang wheel knuckle to drop off of the ball joints on my POS Mercury Mountaineer. I've tried beating on it with a sledge hammer, soaking in penetrating oil, etc. I need another solution. Anyone ever deal with this? I was thinking maybe a pickle fork? Any suggestions would be very appreciated, the ball joints are shot and I'd like to knock this out on the long weekend.

Additional info: I don't own air tools, and it's a 2008 model.
Tail Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
snapperlicious
Registered Users-pm+

snapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Pirate
Pickle forks work but the cheap ones bend easy so if it's really stuck it will probably just spread the fork apart. I had put my truck on jack stands and use the jack to put pressure on the ball joint while I used a pickle fork and sledge.
snapperlicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapperlicious View Post
Pickle forks work but the cheap ones bend easy so if it's really stuck it will probably just spread the fork apart. I had put my truck on jack stands and use the jack to put pressure on the ball joint while I used a pickle fork and sledge.
Put the weight of the vehicle on the A frame and a heavy hammer to the ball joint.

Last edited by RB II; 05-23-2017 at 06:12 PM.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Newbomb Turk
Registered Users-pm+

Newbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to Pirate
Try one of these...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GearWrenc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Newbomb Turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
You can also just replace the whole control arm and be done with it. I've done that in the past on light duty vehicles since if you are replacing ball joints the other bushings are probably on the way out too, just do the whole deal at once. Once you drop the two bolts on the arm you should have enough room to portapower or fork or use a jack to pop that SOB out..

Or if you are mad, heat pickle fork like someone else said and BFH.
hurricane matt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message