01 Z71 issues - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #31
6.5 shooter dude
Registered Users-pm+

6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate6.5 shooter dude has been promoted to Pirate
Water does not circulate through the intake on a 5.3L that is not going to cause lean issues like po171-po174. My first guess would be dirty fuel injectors and plugged fuel filter, feel free to call me with any questions.......Jay
6.5 shooter dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #32
texasfisherman
Registered Users-pm+

texasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
ya'll are slaying us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowsport702 View Post
Would that be the gasket where the exhaust pipe meets the intake manifold?
....ya'll gotta keep this diagnostic going. We're just four bored mechanics sitting around on a slow afternoon. This is very entertaining. Seriously, and I'm not trying to be rude, but if you think the intake manifold is connected to the exhaust pipe you need to do your truck a favor and pay the $80 for a real diagnostic test. Then put a padlock on the hood and give the key to your mechanic.
Lean and rich fuel mixture codes are very general (non-specific) codes and can require alot of things to be checked before you find the fault. It is not the kind of code that pops up and says "replace this part". Very few codes are that descriptive. Good luck. I really do hope it dosen't cost you an arm and a leg to repair this thing but ya'll need to understand that what AutoZone does is not diagnostic. They pull the code and give you a list of possible causes (which they would love to sell you the parts for). Also understand that the list of 3 possibles is not all the possibles.
P.S. For all you guys out there running K&N and other "oiled" air filters you are just asking for lean codes resulting from a contaminated MAF.
texasfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #33
shallowsport702
Registered Users-pm+

shallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfisherman View Post
....ya'll gotta keep this diagnostic going. We're just four bored mechanics sitting around on a slow afternoon. This is very entertaining. Seriously, and I'm not trying to be rude, but if you think the intake manifold is connected to the exhaust pipe you need to do your truck a favor and pay the $80 for a real diagnostic test. Then put a padlock on the hood and give the key to your mechanic.
Lean and rich fuel mixture codes are very general (non-specific) codes and can require alot of things to be checked before you find the fault. It is not the kind of code that pops up and says "replace this part". Very few codes are that descriptive. Good luck. I really do hope it dosen't cost you an arm and a leg to repair this thing but ya'll need to understand that what AutoZone does is not diagnostic. They pull the code and give you a list of possible causes (which they would love to sell you the parts for). Also understand that the list of 3 possibles is not all the possibles.
P.S. For all you guys out there running K&N and other "oiled" air filters you are just asking for lean codes resulting from a contaminated MAF.
I think it's quite obvious that I'm not a mechanic, and I actually meant the exhaust pipe to (exhuast)manifold gasket, but going back to your post..I know there are alot of mechanics and people with alot of mechanical knowledge on here, which is why I'm asking these questions. If money wasn't an option, I would do just what you said, take it to a mechanic or dealer, but money is an option, which is why I haven't. The thing with that is, if I take it somewhere and it's something that can be fixed in 30 minutes, and was fixed in 30 minutes(give or take), when I go back to pick up my truck my receipt says 2 hours labor. At $70 an hour, that hurts. Now I know there are very good mechanics and very honest mechanics out there, so this is not an insult to anyone, I'm just sayin it would be nice to be able to find out what the problem is and purchase the part online(so I don't get ripped off with that too), and if the installation is too difficult, take it to a mechanic for installation. I know what my limitations are and I'm not gonna start taking my truck apart. This is my only mode of transportation so I can't afford to be without a vehicle.
shallowsport702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #34
texasfisherman
Registered Users-pm+

texasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Piratetexasfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
My point was if you take it to someone it is going to be cheaper in the long run than you buying parts that you dont need to fix your problem. You may get lucky and stumble onto the problem and fix it the first time but all its going to be is luck.
texasfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
lonestarcowboy
Registered Users-pm+

lonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Piratelonestarcowboy has been promoted to Pirate
i am a professional mechanic, my father and I own a shop which my father started 16 years ago,

Trouble codes PO171, PO174 are as you thought lean codes. Can be caused by a vacuum leak, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and several other things. These codes are time consuming to find are even harder when they are intermittant. Without the proper tools your will never find this problem. Until you take it to someone who does you are wasting time, money and effort.
lonestarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
shallowsport702
Registered Users-pm+

shallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mateshallowsport702 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Sprayed some throttle body cleaner on the intake gaskets while the engine was idleing and the idle roughed up a bit, happened when I sprayed it on both sides. So I guess that's it, need to replace the intake gaskets. At least that's my next step. Thanks for all the info and help, it's much appreciated.
shallowsport702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message