Lets talk scopes - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #18
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepersilverado View Post
I just keep going away from the hold over recitals because i dont want to have to remember elevations for each gun even though I have a card on my current hold over gun.

Keep on with the input.
IMO, don't overthink the hunting hold over thing. Unless you are either shooting a 30-30 (ballistically challenged beyond 100 yds) or shooting over 300 yds or shooting prairie dogs (small target), basically every modern rifle caliber will shoot flat enough for that range.

An example, a deer (and adult hog also) is approx 16" top of back to bottom of chest. A 270 sighted in at 200 yds shooting a 130 gr bullet will hit mid deer (drop about 8") if you hold at the top of its back at 300 yds.

Get your dope chart and put the ballistics of your rifle into that perspective, (the thickness of a deer) and you will stop worrying about "remembering" a whole bunch of stuff. My recommendation is use one rifle for most/all of your hunting for a while. Learn it well. Your success rate will go up by doing that.

The reality is the less you have to "remember" when a trophy is standing there, the more chance you have of harvesting it. Simply ranging a deer and then shooting can take many seconds. Trophies aren't known for hanging around for very long.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote