Tree ID Help Please - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
The leaves are smooth on the edges not sawtooth like the leaves of Monterrey Oak according to the pics that came up when I searched "Monterrey oak".

I think the leaves would be brown on the undersides if it they were magnolias but could be wrong.

Well, I have a Quercus polymorpha and its leaves look identical to your pictures. I put it in my backyard because a regular Live Oak would have spread out too far for the area I have. It basically keeps leaves year round, and will bud new leaves at the same time as the old ones fall.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
MontyHall1969
Registered Users-pm+

MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Based on the back of the leaf it might be a Sand Live Oak
MontyHall1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
bassguitarman
Still trying to figure it all out

bassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Pirate
I vote for southern magnolia:
Attached Images

bassguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
Rubberback
Raiser of BOB White Quail

Rubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to Pirate
I change my answer Magnolia.
Rubberback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Here is a picture of a live oak. Unless the scale of the picture is all wrong, the size of a magnolia leaf is about 2-3" wide and about 6" long. I agree that it looks very similar in color and shape, but the size of the live oak leaf is about 3/4" wide and 2" long. So what size are the leaves?
Attached Images

RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #16
Bonestock
I void warranties

Bonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
Here is a picture of a live oak. Unless the scale of the picture is all wrong, the size of a magnolia leaf is about 2-3" wide and about 6" long. I agree that it looks very similar in color and shape, but the size of the live oak leaf is about 3/4" wide and 2" long. So what size are the leaves?
I'd say 3/4" to 1" wide by 2" to 2-1/2 long. The house is only about 8 months old if that helps. I've owned several mature live oaks but the leaves on these two trees look just a smidgen larger and glossier than live oak leaves. I'm starting to lean towards that Monterrey Oak again.
Bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #17
Bonestock
I void warranties

Bonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to PirateBonestock has been promoted to Pirate
I guess I can look around on the ground for any signs of acorns to see if it's in the oak family.
Bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #18
MontyHall1969
Registered Users-pm+

MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)MontyHall1969 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
After further review, I think it might be a Highrise Live Oak Tree.

http://plants.thgc.net/12210002/Plan...hrise_Live_Oak
MontyHall1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #19
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyHall1969 View Post
After further review, I think it might be a Highrise Live Oak Tree.

http://plants.thgc.net/12210002/Plan...hrise_Live_Oak

This ^^^ is a possibility. Even if no acorns this year, I still firmly believe it is in the live oak family.

But I don't think it is is the standard southern live oak.

This has a lot of info if you click around. http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/

It has a list of trees, and one thing I notice is that leaves can be variable on some species. I know as example on mine that not every leaf from the same tree looks identical.

Last edited by Whitebassfisher; 01-10-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #20
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
It's a oak variety. Small narrow leaves - look at trunk bark. Magnolia leaves are much longer and wider
mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message