Garden Pictures! - Page 20 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #191
hk
Registered Users-pm+

hk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
How do you eat those peas, look good, do you shell them? or are they just to till in and make better soil. Would like to try them next fall.
I usually stir fry them with olive oil ,garlic and a little sesame oil.You can eat them young and flat (no shelling)or let them get bigger where they will make some really sweet peas.Oregon sugarpod2 are the variety that I have had the best luck with.Usually plant in them in september.Really delicious and excellent producer.Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
hk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #192
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Winter garden 2019 Summary

The broc production this winter has been terrific keeping us and several families in a constant supply of fresh tasty broc. We like it steamed, in broc soup, broc/rice, and raw fresh out of the garden. Many "foot" heads measuring more than 12 inches across the head.

The cabbage is probably my favorite winter crop and we've had a steady supply of big heads that we steam, stir fry, pan fry, cabbage creole (fantastic), and kraut . I stagger plant starting in Sept. for a continuous supply of fresh heads all winter through spring.

The kale has been prolific this year and we use it in salads, stir fried, and as decorative mats for veggie plates. It will continue producing right up till hot weather in May.

The cauli has been absolutely delicious this winter and we use it in cheesy cauli, raw fresh cut, and in soups. The last of the fall plantings is just now maturing and I'll start another crop soon.

The last few days of DRY weather has given me a chance to start turning under the cover crops and preparing for potato planting which is about one month away. The cover crop this year was the thickest I've ever had and will take several passes to get it assimilated into the soils...but once assimilated look out, it will be a fantastic crop of new potatoes.

Carrots, radishes, and turnips and of course sweet onions are all coming along nicely.
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #193
Postman
Registered Users-pm+

Postman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks hk, do you get the seed locally or do you have to order them on line? Gonna try 'em next fall.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #194
hk
Registered Users-pm+

hk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Pirate
You will have to order online once and then after several pickings,when you notice bloom decline l let the peas get fully mature ,leave in pod,pick,put in dry open air enviroment and after several weeks when shells are dry remove seeds put in airtight container in refrigerator. I have not had to buy seeds for over 10 years.The only thing that will kill the plants is a hard freeze or to many days of freezing in a row.Usually do not have that problem down here in Pearland.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
hk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #195
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate

The Russian Red Kale has been my favorite. Makes a good salad green if you massage (don’t laugh, look it up) it to tenderize. Great with sausage and potatoes in a soup, or make it like you would any boiled greens with bacon and onions.
Romaine Lettuce has been great, no E. coli to worry about. Arugula is another great add in to a salad. Have some butter crunch lettuce that’s about ready to pick. Snow peas are growing. I planted the Snowbird variety seed at the beginning of January. It’s a dwarf type. Says it’s 58 days. Hoping for some production before it heats up too much.

My soil, I’m still trying to improve. I put in a compost heap and that should eventually help. I’ve added in a bit of lighter soil. Greens like kale or lettuce work as even if they don’t get as big as they could because of marginal soil or light, they still are productive. My Brussels sprouts are three plus months in and are only nickel sized. I’m giving them a few more days, then going to have them whatever size they be.

Just a little garden like this can really add in some good produce to the dinners we make. I’ve enjoyed having one. If I get this one down, I might expand it some at a later date.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #196
hk
Registered Users-pm+

Garden off to a decent start so far.Multiplying onions,dill,greenbeans (kentucky pole ,bluelakepole,cherokee wax bean) sweetbasil,early yellow squash,early girl tomatos,market more cucumbers and longhorn okra just coming up.Hope everyone has a great spring/summer garden.Name:  20190407_084209.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  161.5 KBName:  20190407_084220.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  177.0 KBName:  20190407_084236.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  166.9 KBName:  20190407_084252.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  159.9 KBName:  20190407_084316.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  170.7 KBName:  20190407_084338.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  181.7 KB