Dog in Winter Series - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Photography Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
-JAW-

Dog in Winter Series

I tried to do a montage of summer to fall to winter of some trees in the back of my landlord's property. Unfortunately he brought in a machine and destroyed all of my subjects.

I am now starting a series tentatively called "Dog in Winter". It is shot on a neighbor's land, so I think it will not be destroyed before completion. Below is the first shot. Please note that there are red berries on a bush to the right and above Lucy. I wish to keep them in the pictures. Hopefully they will be more visible against a snow background.

My question is how would you crop this photo, so as to emphasize my objectives? (All future photos to have the same crop.)
Attached Images

Last edited by -JAW-; 11-30-2006 at 02:10 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Koru
A Wild Kiwi fern

Koru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I don't know how I missed this thread! Sorry -JAW-.

Here's how I'd crop this photo:

I would use the tree that you already have on your right as the right 'margin' and I would use the tree I have, on the left for the left side.

I wouldn't crop anything though, until AFTER ALL the photos are taken - a tree might fall, the dog might move more to one side and your focus point might be slightly different.

How you're going to get Lucy to be in the exact same spot for each photo would be a story worth hearing. Okay I'm teasing a little. It won't matter that she's moved as the trees will be the steadying effect in the series.

Great choice! I can't wait to see Winter!
Koru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
chicapesca
For the Fish!!

chicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs up

Cool idea Jaw. I'm with Karen on the cropping. Take the pictures from the same spot each time, and do the cropping at the end. You don't know what the future holds for that spot, or what may be happening on any given day right there. What exactly are your objectives for "Dog in Winter" series? (I think I may try a similar series at our place in Victoria.)
chicapesca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
-JAW-

We had our first cover of snow last night. Only 1/2 inch, but it turned everything white, so here is shot #2. I am disappointed that the red berries didn't become more prominent.

My aim is just to do a montage of the same scene as winter comes on. If it works at all I may then shoot winter becoming spring.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Charles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to Pirate
Don't take this as negative criticism, but if you can put the dog closer in the foreground that element will stand out more in the pictures. As it is the dog gets a bit lost in the foliage. Of course, that may be an artistic choice you have made. Or like me you may have uncooperative dogs.
Charles Helm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
-JAW-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Helm
Don't take this as negative criticism, but if you can put the dog closer in the foreground that element will stand out more in the pictures. As it is the dog gets a bit lost in the foliage. Of course, that may be an artistic choice you have made. Or like me you may have uncooperative dogs.
The third reason, unfortunately.
The only artistic reason for having Lucy in the picture is because I like the series title! I figure she will pretty much disappear when the world becomes white.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
MsAddicted

MsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to Pirate
Kind of looks that way, she definately blends in! Neat idea though.
MsAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Charles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JAW-
The third reason, unfortunately.
The only artistic reason for having Lucy in the picture is because I like the series title! I figure she will pretty much disappear when the world becomes white.

Not if you get her to look at the camera!
Charles Helm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Koru
A Wild Kiwi fern

Koru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieKoru has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JAW-
We had our first cover of snow last night. Only 1/2 inch, but it turned everything white, so here is shot #2. I am disappointed that the red berries didn't become more prominent.

My aim is just to do a montage of the same scene as winter comes on. If it works at all I may then shoot winter becoming spring.
First snow fall is so beautiful isn't it? I'm very glad you were able to get out and photograph it! That's one special special time. I was in the Southern Alps a few years ago, and was lucky enough to arrive the morning after the first snow fall, it was a little heavier than yours I think but just utterly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing yours.

The berries I think are a little 'lost' in the 'reds' and 'browns' of the foliage. Perhaps a heavier snowfall will pop them forward in your photographs.

Lucy seems a little camera shy You might have to take a half a biscuit and put it somewhere and be ready with your camera when she finds it. (Talk about prepping for a shot! lol ) Don't think about leaving her out of the photos... she adds an extra element of interest and it will be cool to see her remain the same colour whilst the whole scenery around her, changes.

Great start with these two photos!
Koru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message