First attempt brisket - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #11
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Not sure what is going on with your pit temp up and down, but you need to get that under control for the best product.
Also, IME (and I cook in KCBS cook-offs) paper is not nearly as consistent with the final product as foil. We wrap our competition briskets in foil. YMMV.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #12
Blue Fin Charters

Blue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to Pirate
I wrap foil between 155-165. You already have your smoke ring at that point.
Blue Fin Charters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
Pods
The Rod Man

Pods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to Pirate
Final results: Taste was good, smoke ring good. It did appear to be a little tough though, I did not wrap. When done I removed from pit and wrapped in towel and placed in cooler for ~ 45 minutes. Cut with the grain as well. It will be a long time before I attempt another.

Pods
Pods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #14
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pods View Post
Update: Been on 9hrs, internal temp staying ~ 175° during the stall, having hard time keeping cooking area in the 250° range. High as 350 and low as 175. waiting on internal temp to get to 195°, may have to cut down another tree..... This may be my last brisket.

Pods
Same as others have said, wrap it at 160/ +-

Cook it to 200-205.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
bigl
Registered Users-pm+

bigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Piratebigl has been promoted to Pirate
Pods try cutting across the grain and it e will be more tender and not so chewy. Be sure to get internal temp up to 200-205 and you will be happy.
bigl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
fattrout
Registered Users-pm+

fattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Piratefattrout has been promoted to Pirate
if you slice with the grain it will be tough....u must be patient, the brisket will tell you when its done
fattrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
iamatt
Work to fish

iamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
Wrap in foil at 160 degrees. No stall. Unless you have cooked quite a few, not wrapping can make it a major ordeal when it doesn't have to be.
After smoke we wrap with HD foil, Throw in a whole stick of butter and finish it off. Never dry.
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Big problem with Brisket is you have two different muscles together, and the flat is thinner without much fat. I have had good luck separating the flat and point at 160, then wrap the flat and take it to 205. The Point can cook to 205 unwrapped and render a lot of the fat out of it doing this. If you want to cube it and make burnt ends it is an easy process once they are separated.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #19
Pods
The Rod Man

Pods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to PiratePods has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for all the responses/tips. I guess i will make another attemp in the near future.

Pods
Pods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #20
HAYBL
Registered Users-pm+

HAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to PirateHAYBL has been promoted to Pirate
Get right back after it if you can. I know it makes for a long day but when the time comes that you produce what you think is a great brisket, it makes it worth it.
Keep it simple too when smoking. I'm a simple salt and pepper person and I like to run my pit at 260 and then cook based on like fattrout said, "the brisket will tell you when it's done". I have preferred the butcher paper over foil that last few cooks but just my preference. For me, it's kept the bark firmer and that's what I like.

Good luck on your next one!
HAYBL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message