2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Lens selection... HELP!! 40mm or 50mm for Canon T2

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AggieCowboy98 
#1 ·
My girlfriend has a T2 with a couple of zoom lenses (I don't recall the sizes and I'm not home where I can look at them). She has been wanting to add a fixed focal length lens to her bag. Here's the problem, neither she nor I know much more that turn the camera on, point, focus, shoot... I'm fairly certain she has no idea why she wants a fixed focal length lens other than her brother (self proclaimed know it all) told her she needed one.

Her birthday is Tuesday and I have n idea what to get so I thought I would buy her a lens. I would like to stay under $300. Best Buy has a 50MM 1.8 and a 40MM 2.8 that are both within my price range and a 50MM 1.4 that's just a little more but still doable.

Most of her pics are candid shots of the dogs, artsy shots (trees, bridges, etc.). She also takes some low light pics of people (think sitting around the campfire, etc)

What lens would y'all recommend and why?

Thanks!!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

See less See more
#2 ·
I would go with the 50mm, with the crop sensor it'll give her an effective focal length of 80mm which is an excellant focal length for portraits and all around use. I would go with the Canon 50 mm 1.4. For me its a little better build quality than the 1.8, plus it gives you an extra stop. But both lenses have great reviews.
Amazon has the 1.4 for 314.00 right now.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning that way but wanted the opinion of those that know more about it than myself before I dropped the cash. I found a 1.4 in stock at Best Buy for $314. Picking it up later today. I'm sure she'll shoot a ton of pics with it at our charity golf tournament / banquet this weekend. I post some up when we get back.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.