First time surf fishing - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
RW2016
Registered Users-pm+

RW2016 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
First time surf fishing

Im heading to Galveston for the weekend, we will be staying just west of Jamaica Beach, so I would like to try fishing on the beach for shark or anything else that will bite. Any recommendations?
RW2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
TBMatt
Registered Users-pm+

TBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTBMatt has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Best thing to do is spend some time on this board as people like sharkchum and others have several detailed posts to help you out. They share lots of great info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Garzas23
ADDICTED2FISHING

Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Tons of great info on here! A cast net for bait is handy. Mullet, croaker and whiting work well, Cut bait will get you a little bit of every species in the surf lol. The common fish finder rig works well in the surf.
Garzas23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 02:39 AM   #4
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
The best recommendation I can give you is don't go surf fishing by Jamaica beach, it's a dead zone. Actually from Galveston to Freeport is probably the worst area for surf fishing in all of Texas. If you really want to know about surf fishing, look up my posts in the surf fishing forum.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
TOMBOB
Registered Users-pm+

TOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to PirateTOMBOB has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
The best recommendation I can give you is don't go surf fishing by Jamaica beach, it's a dead zone. Actually from Galveston to Freeport is probably the worst area for surf fishing in all of Texas. If you really want to know about surf fishing, look up my posts in the surf fishing forum.

I hate to say that Sharkchum is right. But he must be right. I have lived in the same house for the past 15 years. i have never brought home a fish to clean and cook it. I rarely ever catch fish in the surf from Galveston to San Luis pass.
Most of the time I never catch 1 fish.
TOMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
Brady
Registered Users-pm+

Brady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to Pirate
[QUOTE=TOMBOB;23747011]I hate to say that Sharkchum is right. But he must be right. I have lived in the same house for the past 15 years. i have never brought home a fish to clean and cook it. I
Most of the time I never catch 1 fish.[/UOTE]

When saying the Galvston to Freeport surf is I realll poor for surf fishing I dont know if you mean with the big rods for drum/redfish/sharks or wading fishing for trout or both?

From my experience the surf from Galvestont to Freeport is probably the best area along this part of the Texas coast for wading fishing for trout.

And having San Luis Pass in the middle of stretch helps also.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
Rburcaw
Registered Users-pm+

Rburcaw is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
From the deadzone.......Name:  7C28E9C1-53D5-4A64-87A1-432269A5311E_1562346991593.jpeg
Views: 706
Size:  372.1 KB
Rburcaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
[quote=Brady;23747391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBOB View Post
I hate to say that Sharkchum is right. But he must be right. I have lived in the same house for the past 15 years. i have never brought home a fish to clean and cook it. I

Most of the time I never catch 1 fish.[/UOTE]

When saying the Galvston to Freeport surf is I realll poor for surf fishing I dont know if you mean with the big rods for drum/redfish/sharks or wading fishing for trout or both?

From my experience the surf from Galvestont to Freeport is probably the best area along this part of the Texas coast for wading fishing for trout.

And having San Luis Pass in the middle of stretch helps also.
I was referring to surf fishing with the big rods. That stretch is probably the best in Texas for catching trout.

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
sometimesfisher
Registered Users-pm+

sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)sometimesfisher has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
MOB and Bryan Beach past the shrimper used to get epic for big reds, shark, etc. My PB flounder came out of the mouth. PB red, too. Best shark was on the beach just around the corner from it. But I agree, the stretch hasn't been productive for those species in probably 5 years. Even so, it's still reliable for trout if clarity, wind, temp, etc are reasonable.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
sometimesfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message