Capt. John fishing Report Sunday (Pictures) - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

View Poll Results: Is it legal to catch snapper for a friend on the same boat?
Yes, it is legal 40 61.54%
No, it is illegal 25 38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #11
Zebra Mussel

Zebra Mussel is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Still waffling between Galveston and Freeport. Might end up doing both if my boy can stand two days of fishing.

Freeport has an advantage because I've done it before and there's a realatively inexpensive hotel across the street.

Galveston - well, heck, just look at those pictures. Not to mention the new boat.

Regardless, I'll post once we get back with pics and lessons learned.

Thanks again

Geoff

PS - I hear you on how to dress. My wife got me a nice Columbia shirt for fishing. It hasn't been near the water. Old T Shirts, disposable if possible, are the way to go.

Then again, there was a trip out of Tampa where my group was watching a little old lady who was very nicely dressed touching up her lipstick on the way out. 'Course, she ended up with two keeper grouper, and all we got were grunts. Ya never know.
Zebra Mussel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 04:10 PM   #12
TexasDux
Registered Users-pm+

TexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
I caught 3 limits of Red Snapper (gave 8 fish to some folks that were seasick), 2 limits of Kingfish and one Barracuda.
Since when is it legal to catch the limits for others on board?

You should have stopped fishing when you caught your limit of Snaps and Kings and gone inside and enjoyed the AC and ordered something from the short order grill.

That is no different than if I took my wife and two kids fishing and boxed 40 trout just because they were with me and didnt want to fish or got sick, I cant its illegal.

Its also no different than shooting your buddys limit of doves or ducks. Again illegal.

I'm highly surprised that none of the Captains that responded to this post have said anything. Am I to assume this practice is acceptable?

I assure you if a Game Warden was watching the hunt and he saw me shoot more than my limit and give them to my buddy to carry out of the field I would be fined.
TexasDux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #13
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Show me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDux
Since when is it legal to catch the limits for others on board?

You should have stopped fishing when you caught your limit of Snaps and Kings and gone inside and enjoyed the AC and ordered something from the short order grill.

That is no different than if I took my wife and two kids fishing and boxed 40 trout just because they were with me and didnt want to fish or got sick, I cant its illegal.

Its also no different than shooting your buddys limit of doves or ducks. Again illegal.

I'm highly surprised that none of the Captains that responded to this post have said anything. Am I to assume this practice is acceptable?

I assure you if a Game Warden was watching the hunt and he saw me shoot more than my limit and give them to my buddy to carry out of the field I would be fined.
I called the GOM Fishery management Council and they said that it wasn't illegal. Also, the regs make no mention of who must catch the fish!!! Here is a copy of the current rules and limits.

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/fishrules.htm

Additionally, the person that I spoke to made mention that if a boat was checked the current procedure is to check the number of people on board and multiply that by 4. 6 people on board x 4 = 24 allowable snapper. They don't care who caught the fish. However, Snapper must be a minimum of 16 inches as you are aware.

Now, you say that this is an illegal practice. Can you show me the source of your information?

Lumberjack93
Lumberjack93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #14
TexasDux
Registered Users-pm+

TexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to PirateTexasDux has been promoted to Pirate
Out of curiousity, did you research this now or before your trip? Sound like you just made the call and got clarification.

Well it may be legal and it appears the law should be more precise, but it's still pretty $hitty. You sure can't shoot your whole parties limit of birds if a Game Warden is watching so I don't understand why this law is so liberal.

Legal or not, its the right thing to do, but I'm not one to preach or push ethics on anyone.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:30 PM   #15
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Out of curiousity, did you research this now or before your trip? Sound like you just made the call and got clarification.

Well it may be legal and it appears the law should be more precise, but it's still pretty $hitty. You sure can't shoot your whole parties limit of birds if a Game Warden is watching so I don't understand why this law is so liberal.

Legal or not, its the right thing to do, but I'm not one to preach or push ethics on anyone.
Question? Do release your doves and ducks after you shoot them ;-)

BTW, I also called the GOM Fishery Management Council enforcement office in Galveston (409) 770-0812 and was told the same thing.

Why would it be "pretty $hitty" in your opinion to catch fish for a friend if it is clearly within the bounds of the law?

Here is an example of that mindset. Lots of people take tax deductions. Using your logic I could say that all people that take tax deductions are hurting their kids future because they are putting a strain on a fragile system. (Social Security may not be there because they are taking legal tax deductions now). You could apply any federal program to this illustration. Even our beloved GOM Fishery Management Council which protects our fish ;-)

I hear this same argument everytime someone keeps a billfish. If you keep that fish then they won't be there for your kids.

My take is that if the Federal Govt. says that I can keep a fish then there are plenty to keep. If the Govt. for one minute thought that there was a problem then you would see strict regulations put in place. Just look at grouper and snapper kingfish.

Lumberjack93
Old 07-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #16
Barnacle Bill
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/

Barnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to PirateBarnacle Bill has been promoted to Pirate
I can't see knocking someone for doing something not illegal. If I paid for my girlfriend and I to go out fishing and she got sick and couldn't fish, I'd have no problem with catching her limit as well as mine since I've already paid for the trip. No reason to go out and not bring back what you're legally allowed to do. It would be a waste of money.
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 05:51 PM   #17
TexasDux
Registered Users-pm+

Thats why limits state "per person" and not per boat.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #18
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Thats why limits state "per person" and not per boat.
But it doesn't state who must catch the fish. So, if you catch fish for your wife or for a sick buddy then you are clearly within the bounds of the law.

Also, it couldn't state "per boat" in the regs as they wouldn't know how many people would be on any one particular boat.

Lumberjack93
Old 07-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #19
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
I can't see knocking someone for doing something not illegal. If I paid for my girlfriend and I to go out fishing and she got sick and couldn't fish, I'd have no problem with catching her limit as well as mine since I've already paid for the trip. No reason to go out and not bring back what you're legally allowed to do. It would be a waste of money.
Exactly. What is the difference between a 6 pack charter that catches a limit of snapper with each angler taking 4 snapper as opposed to a 6 pack charter that catches a limit of snapper with 5 guys and 1 seven year old kid (Dad helped the kid catch the fish). Or say a guy was sick. You still have 24 legal red snapper being harvested by each vessel in any case.

Lumberjack93
Old 07-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #20
Ernest
Registered Users-pm+

Ernest has disabled reputation
It don't matter what they say over the phone. Unless you are talking to a Judge or the Attorney General, the person has absolutely no authority to interpret the law for you.

The "cop said it was legal" is never a defense. Its your obligation to understand the law. Might as well be telling a Judge that you did not know that bank robbery was against the law.

Not taking sides here.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message