Capt. John fishing Report Sunday (Pictures) - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

View Poll Results: Is it legal to catch snapper for a friend on the same boat?
Yes, it is legal 40 61.54%
No, it is illegal 25 38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Dance Capt. John fishing Report Sunday (Pictures)

Well, I went out on the new Capt. John http://www.galveston.com/captjohn/ yesterday and man did we put it on them. The overall catch was quite impressive. I caught 3 limits of Red Snapper (gave 8 fish to some folks that were seasick), 2 limits of Kingfish and one Barracuda. Check out the fishing report for the entire boat: http://www.galveston.com/captjohn/report.shtml

Anyway, the seas were perfect (2-3's) and the day couldn't have been any nicer.

Here is a pictorial account of our trip.

At the first stop we made the snapper bite was kind of slow so I started fishing for Kings. Within just a little while I had decked 4 kings. After that I went back to snapper fishing. I managed to pluck one keeper snapper from our fist spot. It went about 8 or 9 lbs. I weigh 200 lbs. so hopefully you can get an idea of how big the snapper were that I'm holding in the picture below.

At the second stop the Snapper fishing really turned on. The snapper were suspended in the water column and I caught 3 limits on Pink/Chartruse 3 oz. Snapper Slappers. Again, I gave my extra snapper to the fellow and his son who were sick.

Also, I lost a huge (hardest pulling fish of the day!) snapper due to the stinger hook pulling out of the Snapper Slapper. I heard of another guy on the trip that had the same thing happen to him. Anyway, I have figured out a way to fix that problem. I'm getting rid of the coastal snap swivel that they come with and I'm going to crimp the stinger hooks on myself. I won't let that happen to me again.

Here is another picture of my catch. I caught a very small barracuda when the kings turned on as you can see in this picture.

Here is a picture of the overall catch on Sunday. It was quite impressive. There were several ling decked on Sunday along with several kings and some chicken dolphin.

I must say that the new Capt. John is quite impressive as it is new, fast, well crewed and it finds the fish! Capt. Langston once again put us on some incredible fish.

Here is a picture of a buddy of mine and his catch. It's hard to show you the size of these fish without laying them down on a ruler and taking a picture. However, this guy is about 6' 3" at the least so hopefully that will tell you how big these sows were. The funny this about this trip was most of the snapper we caught were legal. Very few fish juvenille fish were caught and thrown back on Sunday. Also, the average fish was around 6 to 8 lbs. Read the fishing report on the Texsun II website if you want to know more.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share a little bit about our trip with you.

Good fishing to all.

Lumberjack93
Lumberjack93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
KevinA
Registered Users-pm+

KevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to Pirate
Was that an overnight trip?

I see you have eight snapper in your picture and your buddy has seven or eight also.

regardless, those are some nice sized snapper, especially for a party boat trip.

what do they charge for a ride on that new boat?
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA
Was that an overnight trip?

I see you have eight snapper in your picture and your buddy has seven or eight also.

regardless, those are some nice sized snapper, especially for a party boat trip.

what do they charge for a ride on that new boat?
Actually, that was on their day trip last Sunday! I gave away my extra snapper to the folks who got seasick and couldn't fish. But, I wanted them in the picture.

The new Capt. John (Replaced the Texsun II which now does bay and jetty trips) goes out 60 - 70 miles and gets there in a hurry. The price is $70.00 for a weekday trip and $80.00 for weekend trips. I posted a link to their website in my original post. It has their phone number and rates.

I can't wait for Capt. Williams to schedule some more tuna trips. They are going to do 36 hr and 60 hr tuna trips this fall !!!! Those are a ball. Double limits of snapper, all the tuna you can reel in and AJ's, Kings, Ling, Grouper, big sharks, etc.

Later,

Lumberjack93
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Zebra Mussel

Zebra Mussel is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Geez, awesome catch, esp. for a party boat.

Care to share any tricks with a newbie? I posted a similar question over at

http://2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=3036

Perhaps I should consider going out of Galveston instead of Freeport. What's the hotel situation like nearby?

Thanks for the report & pics.

Geoff
Zebra Mussel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra Mussel

Perhaps I should consider going out of Galveston instead of Freeport. What's the hotel situation like nearby?

Geoff
The Texsun II / Capt. John is a first class operation and I would recommend them to anyone. They are also family oriented and I haven't had any problems when I take my kids on the boat. They love it. The Capt. makes an announcement before the boat leaves that goes something like this: " If you came out today to get drunk then please get off of the boat, go back to the office and ask for a refund. There are several bars in the Galveston area that would be glad to accomodate you. "

They do sell beer on the boat but ask that people keep it in moderation, which I really like as the last thing I want to do is spend a day with a bunch of drunk fisherman.

Tips for Partyboat fishing.

Golden Rule: Listen to the captain. If your fishing in 130 ft. of water and he says the fish are suspended off of the bottom and are really thick at 70 ft. then you need to fish at 70 ft. If he says that they are on the bottom then fish on the bottom.

Buy a couple of boxes of cigar minnows or sardines and some snapper slappers. The 3 oz model is my favorite. I caught 3 limits of snapper Sunday on a 3 oz Pink/Chartruse snapper slapper that was sardine tipped.

If the snapper fishing slows down start kingfishing. Ask one of the deckhands to set you up with a kingfish leader if you don't have your own tackle like I do. When the snapper action heats back up then switch back to snapper fishing. The key to catching fish on a party boat is to work your butt off while you are fishing. Try to make your time as productive as possible. Don't stop and eat lunch while the snapper bite is red hot. Wait and eat on the way back home. You'll be glad that you did.

If you have never used a large trolling reel (Penn 4/0 or Shimano TLD) spend a few minutes (before you get to the first spot) to get accustomed to the reel. Also, check your drag tension with your hand before you put it to the test while fishing.

Do you have your own tackle (rods & reels)? If not the Capt. John has good tackle to handle anything that you would get into. They have Shimano TLD 25's mounted on custom rods.

Be nice and treat the deck hands like you would want to be treated. Don't yell at them and tell them that you need to have a fish gaffed this instant while you can see that they are busy trying to gaff another fish and deal with a tangle. Just be patient. Don't get me wrong, you need to let them know what you need, just do it in a courtious mannor. I have seen people be real jerks to them and guess what? They will treat you just like you treat them. Also, don't ask to have a 5 lb. snapper gaffed ;-) Just pull him up.

Tip well: I have been going out for a while with the Texsun II and I never tip the deckhands less than $20.00 when they pass the bucket. They all know me by name now and I never have to ask for anything. They are also some really great guys if you spend a little time and get to know them.

Be ready to take advantage of an opportunity. If a school of chicken dolphin show up have a lightweight rig ready to cast at them. Ask the Capt. how far out he plans to go that day and what you may encounter. If he says that he's going to hit a rig in deep water and that they get AJ's out there all the time then you better have your drag set tight and be ready for them.

Another thing. If you see a big ling hit the deck stay out of the way and let the deckhands do their job. I see guys stop fishing and for some reason think that their presence is required when a big fish hits the deck. They will walk over and try to get right in the middle of all the action that is going on. They only get in the way. A ling can do some real dammage so stay out of their way. Look at the 6 or 7 fins on their back and you will know what I'm talking about.

If a guy fishing next to you hooks a good fish, reel up and give him some room. He'll appreciate it and do the same for you when it's your turn.

Bring a small bucket (not 5 gallon) to put your cigar minnows in. If you leave them in the box that they come in they will get stepped on and will be mush by 1:30 in the afternoon.

Hotels: Tons in Galveston. Go to http://www.galveston.com for a list.

Good luck. Be sure and post some pics of your trip here when you get back.

Lumberjack93
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
James Howell
Registered Users-pm+

James Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to Pirate
That was probably the best description of what to expect and how to fish on a party boat that has ever been written, Lumberjack. I may print it out and post it in big letters in the Capt. Elliott's Party Boats office, if you don't mind.
James Howell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
Zebra Mussel

Zebra Mussel is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Pure gold! Thanks very much.

Geoff
Zebra Mussel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #8
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Help yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howell
That was probably the best description of what to expect and how to fish on a party boat that has ever been written, Lumberjack. I may print it out and post it in big letters in the Capt. Elliott's Party Boats office, if you don't mind.
Help yourself. It's public domain now ;-)

The funny thing is most of it is just plain old common sense.

Lumberjack93
Old 07-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #9
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Biggrin How to dress ;-)

I've got a question. How does one go about editing his posts once they have been made???? I don't have an edit button anymore. At one time this was present but not anymore.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I wanted to edit my earlier post about Party Boat tips.

I need to add the following:

Don't dress like you are modeling for a cover page on the new Orvis fly fishing catalog. Wear old grubby clothes. You can be assured that you will get hot, sweaty and have squid juice and ink all over you by the end of the day. If you not dirty then you didn't fish hard enough ;-)

Here is how you don't want to look when you show up at the dock. You know, wearing a $50.00 pink or yellow Orvis fly fishing shirt and some kind of overpriced slacks from Orvis ;-)

Here is a picture of how your shirt should look after you get off of the boat. Notice the stains on the shorts. Those could be considered multi-functional shorts. They serve as both shorts and a towel ;-)

Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra Mussel

Geoff
So, did you decide to go out of Galveston? If so, make sure and post some pictures here when you get back.

Hope you guys knock em dead.

Lumberjack93