roux.. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
roux..

any yall tried making in the micro-wave?
have had a couple decent results...
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
gigem87
Lord, beer me strength!

gigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirate
Never had. What is the technique?
gigem87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
SwampRat
Registered Users-pm+

SwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to PirateSwampRat has been promoted to Pirate
I've been making roux in the microwave ever since that one I was stirring popped and went in my eye...probably 35yrs ago.... Did one this morning.

You mix the oil and flour like normal and throw it in the microwave. To get it heated, I do ~70% power for 4min or so...stir, a couple more minutes, stir...etc. Once it gets hot and starts turning the slightest hint of browning, reduce microwave power to ~50% and cook ~2min and stir. Repeat at the lower power until desired color is acheived. Key is frequent stirring.

If you get impatient and put the power too high or cook too long before stirring, you will get a hardened burnt "spot" in the middle towards the bottom. If it's not too bad you can salvage the whole container by removing this spot and lowering the power/time. If the hard spot is too large, put entire container outside because it will smoke for quite some time and you'll have to start all over again....How bad is too bad? Don't worry, you'll know when it happens.
SwampRat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
Haute Pursuit
Give it hell Remy!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
I've been doing it in the micro for years too. 5 minutes on high power, stir and then 1 or 2 minutes and stir. Repeat until it gets as dark as you want. Using a round microwave safe vessel (not plastic) and a turntable will keep the flour from forming the burnt hard lumps. You also need to whisk the flour and oil so there are no lumps of flour. Usually takes me about 8 minutes. The top if it will be much lighter color than the bottom while cooking, so stir often towards the end.
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Pursuit View Post
I've been doing it in the micro for years too. 5 minutes on high power, stir and then 1 or 2 minutes and stir. Repeat until it gets as dark as you want. Using a round microwave safe vessel (not plastic) and a turntable will keep the flour from forming the burnt hard lumps. You also need to whisk the flour and oil so there are no lumps of flour. Usually takes me about 8 minutes. The top if it will be much lighter color than the bottom while cooking, so stir often towards the end.
so about 1min at pnut butter color, stir and maybe 30sec till desired color?
my oven has a 30sec button... I'll try that...
and gonna order a couple jars of Savioe's...
make roux isn't difficult, just standing and whisk/stirring is a pain w/ a black skillet
Old 09-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
JFolm
Unorthodox Millenial

JFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweber View Post
make roux isn't difficult, just standing and whisk/stirring is a pain w/ a black skillet

Have you tried Douget's roux in a jar?
JFolm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFolm View Post
haven't tried any store-bought jar stuff...
it's not availiable around here... Tony's instant powder is it, these parts..
we were after a quick lunch for dove opener w/end and Tony's instant w trinity, frozen sliced okra, HEB fresh shrimp
and boil-bag rice had us a good-enuff feed...
double-burner outdoor cooker.. we were eatin' in just under an hr..
faster if the trinity was pre-chopped
HEB garlic bread roasted along w/the pot..

Last edited by kweber; 09-30-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #8
notthatdeep
Registered Users-pm+

notthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Pirate
I've been making roux in the microwave for several years now and can get it a lot darker without burning than I can on stovetop. On stovetop I used to chicken out when it started getting iffy. in the micro, I just shorten the time between stirs and darken incrementally until it gets where I want it. I heat it in pyrex and when ready pour into my cook pot with the veggies and stir like he77 until they are soft before adding stock. Had very good results. Never used store bought roux.
notthatdeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
jetcycles
just another FNG!!!

jetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFolm View Post
I made a quick chicken and sausage gumbo on Friday using Douget's and have no complaints. I plan to use the second half of the jar to whip up some seafood gumbo this weekend.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Haute Pursuit
Give it hell Remy!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweber View Post
It is hard to burn it in the micro unless you have lumps or little balls of flour. The stirring part is more to see the true color of the roux. Little air bubbles of lighter color will appear on the top. I go 5 minutes and then 1 minute intervals strrring with the whisk every time until it gets as dark as I want it to be. As said above, carefully add it to your gumbo pot and cook your trinity before adding stock.
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message