Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
jakejas
Registered Users-pm+

jakejas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
ISO Boudin Recipe

I thought I found a good boudin recipe online, but when I made the recipe it turned out WAY too salty. Does anyone have a good recipe?
jakejas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Tuff
Registered Users-pm+

Tuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to PirateTuff has been promoted to Pirate
I'm not real big on making boudin in casing, but I will make some boudin balls. This is my recipe that I use most often. I usually omit the chicken livers, sometimes the celery and poblano too. Don't worry about how the meat is cubed, it is not that critical (as long as it is cut into small pieces = more surface area to absorb flavor). Sometimes I'll chop the cooked meat with a knife, other times just drop it in the food processor and if I feel like going all out I'll run it through the grinder (really doesn't make a difference how you do it). The real secret is to use the liquid that you cooked the meat in for making your rice (with that said - you will need more than 2 inches of water). And if you have a choice of a few hours or overnight - overnight is best. This is not fast and easy - nor would I say that it is traditional boudin - but if you can appreciate "Gary's Dirty Rice" for what it is - then you won't be disappointed with this recipe.

Boudin and Boudin Balls
1 3/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 ounces chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup diced poblano pepper
1/2 cup seeded and diced jalapeno pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups cooked white rice, or more to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups oil for frying, or as needed

Directions
1. Stir pork shoulder, livers, onion, celery, poblano pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, kosher salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper, chili powder, and 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper together in a large pot. Cover the pot with a lid and refrigerate until flavors combine, 2 hours to overnight.
2. Pour enough water into the pork mixture to cover by 2-inches; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat. Pour mixture through a strainer, reserving strained liquid and meat separately.
3. Transfer drained meat mixture to a cutting board and finely chop.
4. Stir chopped meat, rice, parsley, and green onion together in a bowl. Gradually add reserved cooking liquid, 1 ladleful at a time, to meat mixture, stirring until completely incorporated between each addition, until mixture has a paste-like consistency. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours to overnight.
5. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
6. Roll chilled meat mixture into 1-inch balls.
7. Whisk flour, 1 pinch cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper together in a shallow bowl. Pour breadcrumbs into another shallow bowl. Beat eggs in another shallow bowl.
8. Gently press 1 ball into flour mixture to coat; shake off the excess flour. Dip ball into the beaten egg; press ball into bread crumbs. Place breaded ball onto a plate and repeat breading process with remaining meat balls.
9. Working in batches, cook boudin balls in preheated oil, turning once, until crispy on the outside and hot on the inside, 3 to 4 minutes.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
TIMBOv2
Banned

TIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejas View Post
I thought I found a good boudin recipe online, but when I made the recipe it turned out WAY too salty. Does anyone have a good recipe?
A few Christmas’ ago wife found a good one from Emeril Lagasse. It was really good. I will try the one below also.
I LUMME’ SOME BOUDIN.
I can warm it up and eat on white bread with Miracle Whip or mustard and a slab o’ cheese. Or just eat out of a bowl like dirty rice, lol
TIMBOv2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Wes
Registered Users-pm+

Wes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to PirateWes has been promoted to Pirate
Here is the recipe I have been using.

I usually have a taste prior to stuffing and add any additional seasoning then.

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/reci...oudoin-boudin/
Wes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
tlt_tamu
Registered Users-pm+

tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)tlt_tamu has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Zacks spice company makes an excellent boudin recipe. Been using it for a few years now
tlt_tamu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
TIMBOv2
Banned

TIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to Pirate
Wonder what boudin would taste like with white tail? Anyone ever done it? I got a couple fore quarters deboned that I was planning on using for chili but I like boudin as much as a good pot of chili.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
cva34
Registered Users-pm+

cva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBOv2 View Post
Wonder what boudin would taste like with white tail? Anyone ever done it? I got a couple fore quarters deboned that I was planning on using for chili but I like boudin as much as a good pot of chili.
I bet you will never know the diff.(and most Boudin is not primarly Meat its Rice or the kind I buy is )..we use it with beef recipe all the time...only problem seems to be dryer(less fat) so if thats a problen we add a little fat beef or pork with it..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
bigmike
Registered Users-pm+

bigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Piratebigmike has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBOv2 View Post
We make a couple of batches of boudin with venison every year. We take it to Bud's House of Meat. Best stuff you can get anywhere around here.
bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
TIMBOv2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
We make a couple of batches of boudin with venison every year. We take it to Bud's House of Meat. Best stuff you can get anywhere around here.
I reckon I will try it then. Do you know if they use any pork or beef in it?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
TIMBOv2
Banned

Made Tuff’s recipe yesterday. Used venison and it is really very good