Which diesel? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
If you just want a diesel then go sit in and see which one you like...no wrong choice...if you just want the diesel.

I tow my 20.5ft boat with a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. I get 35+mph normally and 25+ towing my boat. It weighs about 3500# boat motor and trailer. I tow over 200 miles one way about three times a month and everywhere in between.

Unless you tow every day or every other day or even three days a week....the math just doesnt make sense. Get a gasser. I used to drive over 100,000 miles a year towing 4 days a week with a diesel and have gone through many many of them. I dont miss it one bit. I still tow more than most......with my hybrid. I also tow utility trailers with a Polaris Ranger, Unloaded horse trailers etc.....with my hybrid.

Unless you are towing a giant 10k# trailer several days a week then you cant make the math for that expensive rig work. I wont go back for a long time.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Ford 6.7 is my choice. I work the heavy civil construction trade. Lots and lots of diesel trucks involved, get to see the good and bad of the all. Dodge 5.9 or ford 6.7 or 7.3 are the only newer ones worth having unless you like to tinker with your truck. If that is the case then the Ford 6.0 are cheap, easy to work on and performance addons are still legal and easy to find.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
A 3500lb trailer doesn't need a 400hp 750lb torque truck to tow it. That could easily be done with a half ton dodge with the 3.5 diesel having 450lbs of torque....save yourself a lot of cash on new...

acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
goodwood
shake and bake

goodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirate
Freightliner sport chassis with an allison 6 speed auto.

goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #15
GulfCoast1102
Registered Users-pm+

GulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwood View Post
Freightliner sport chassis with an allison 6 speed auto.

I'm planning to order one of these for towing my kayak trailer.
GulfCoast1102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
goodwood
shake and bake

goodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoast1102 View Post
I'm planning to order one of these for towing my kayak trailer.
Make sure and get a kingpin and air brakes installed on your kayak trailer.
goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #17
housewolf
Registered Users-pm+

housewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Pirate
I have a (deleted) 6.7L Ram 3500 & love it. I have friends & coworkers with
GM & Fords. Love them too. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. As previously stated; $8K will buy a lot of fuel. But - you'll get a lot of that $8K back when you sell it. What you burn in fuel is gone forever. Check the price of used diesels vs gas trucks.
housewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
yellowskeeter

yellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirate
Needed or not, there is simply no equal to pulling whatever you have, be it a 12' trailer or a 36' center console with a diesel. My 08 Duramax was great, all my friends fords are nice and I am loving my new ram 2500. Hook on and go! Go drive them and see what suits you best.

www.g-spotservices.com
yellowskeeter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
el dorado
Registered Users-pm+

el dorado has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivo and kolache View Post
I'm currently in my 3rd diesel (all have Ben 1 tons) I tow quite a bit (tractors, hay, what have you), and I will likely have the bulk of the audience disagree with me but I think your money would be better spent on a gas. This is totally just an opinion and nothing else, but to me the benefits of owning a diesel just arnt there anymore. Gas is much cheaper, the emissions you were running away from on a gas engine are now 10x as bad on a diesel, to make a diesel flat out reliable you will spend a good chunk of money deleting everything that made it so expensive in the first place. A gas engine with a lower geared rear end a sensible driver will handle a load just fine. That being said you won't see the fuel economy of the diesel, but in most trucks to step up to a diesel your looking at about another 8k. you can buy a lot of gas with that. Again, just my opinion, I fully realize you were asking for thoughts on diesels, just wanted to add another view point.

p and k
This right here is what I'm screaming. My little bro has a F250 with the new 6.2 gas and pulls his 32' stock trailer or 36' TT all day long. I have a "bulletproofed" 6.0 powerstroke and I wish I had bought a gasoline.
el dorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #20
HTJ
Registered Users-pm+

HTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
If you just want a diesel then go sit in and see which one you like...no wrong choice...if you just want the diesel.

I tow my 20.5ft boat with a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. I get 35+mph normally and 25+ towing my boat. It weighs about 3500# boat motor and trailer. I tow over 200 miles one way about three times a month and everywhere in between.

Unless you tow every day or every other day or even three days a week....the math just doesnt make sense. Get a gasser. I used to drive over 100,000 miles a year towing 4 days a week with a diesel and have gone through many many of them. I dont miss it one bit. I still tow more than most......with my hybrid. I also tow utility trailers with a Polaris Ranger, Unloaded horse trailers etc.....with my hybrid.

Unless you are towing a giant 10k# trailer several days a week then you cant make the math for that expensive rig work. I wont go back for a long time.
No I absolutely don't "just want one", far from it. I have a 25' CC with twins that work and weather permitting I drag to Venice twice per year and 5-6 times to Freeport/Aransas/Galveston. When it's just me and my son she rolls pretty well but with 4 adults and associated BS onboard for Venice it is for sure loaded.
HTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message