Which diesel? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
HTJ
Registered Users-pm+

HTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to PirateHTJ has been promoted to Pirate
Which diesel?

I am at the point of towing I really need to consider a 3/4 ton truck and despite the upcharge I 'spose the diesel route is the way to go. So is there any clear cut advantage to Duramax vs Powerstroke or? I hear some scuttle butt regarding nagging problems on the Duramax motors but otherwise I am pretty clueless. Buying a new truck that needs frequent or even occasional visits to the dealer would be a major downer for me.
HTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Charlie in TX
Registered Users-pm+

Charlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to Pirate
I would be comfortable buying a Ford, GM or Dodge. IMO, there is no clear cut advantage to any manufacture. Go test drive the trucks you are considering. One may jump out and say 'buy me'. And I would add also IMO, if you need a 3/4 ton to tow, you need a diesel.
Charlie in TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Pivo and kolache
Registered Users-pm+

Pivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to Pirate
I'm currently in my 3rd diesel (all have Ben 1 tons) I tow quite a bit (tractors, hay, what have you), and I will likely have the bulk of the audience disagree with me but I think your money would be better spent on a gas. This is totally just an opinion and nothing else, but to me the benefits of owning a diesel just arnt there anymore. Gas is much cheaper, the emissions you were running away from on a gas engine are now 10x as bad on a diesel, to make a diesel flat out reliable you will spend a good chunk of money deleting everything that made it so expensive in the first place. A gas engine with a lower geared rear end a sensible driver will handle a load just fine. That being said you won't see the fuel economy of the diesel, but in most trucks to step up to a diesel your looking at about another 8k. you can buy a lot of gas with that. Again, just my opinion, I fully realize you were asking for thoughts on diesels, just wanted to add another view point.

p and k
Pivo and kolache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
Totally Tuna
Registered Users-pm+

Totally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to Pirate
I sorta agree with P & K, but in my mind there is a great alternative.

Get an '06 or '07 F-250/F-350 with a 6.0. Most have already been bulletproofed and the transmission is rock solid. Because of the reputation you can find these relatively cheap. Nice ones from $13k to $17K. I have an '04 Excursion and I spent $4000 in preventative fixes and couldn't be happier. I love diesel power, but I couldn't afford what they are selling today. I've put over 135,000 on mine myself and it has been trouble free.
Totally Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
BATWING
Registered Users-pm+

BATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to PirateBATWING has been promoted to Pirate
If you go Ford, which I highly recommend. The 2015's have the 2nd Gen Scorpion motor. Its a beast.

Good luck on your decision.
BATWING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
SeaY'all
Registered Users-pm+

SeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to Pirate
I got the duramax and have been pleased with it so far. Im getting about 19 on the highway with it and could probably get more if my foot wasnt so heavy.
I get 12-13 hauling the boat. I got 7 in the gas truck. You may look at a 11 or 12 if you want to save money but, they can be tough to find if you want a specific color or luxury package on it.
SeaY'all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
GulfCoast1102
Registered Users-pm+

GulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to PirateGulfCoast1102 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaY'all View Post
I got the duramax and have been pleased with it so far. Im getting about 19 on the highway with it and could probably get more if my foot wasnt so heavy.
I get 12-13 hauling the boat. I got 7 in the gas truck. You may look at a 11 or 12 if you want to save money but, they can be tough to find if you want a specific color or luxury package on it.
How big of a boat are you towing? Weight/type?
GulfCoast1102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
SeaY'all
Registered Users-pm+

SeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to PirateSeaY'all has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoast1102 View Post
How big of a boat are you towing? Weight/type?
24 ft Shallow Sport Mod V. @ just a hair over 80 mph
SeaY'all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Pivo and kolache
Registered Users-pm+

Pivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to PiratePivo and kolache has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tuna View Post
I sorta agree with P & K, but in my mind there is a great alternative.

Get an '06 or '07 F-250/F-350 with a 6.0. Most have already been bulletproofed and the transmission is rock solid. Because of the reputation you can find these relatively cheap. Nice ones from $13k to $17K. I have an '04 Excursion and I spent $4000 in preventative fixes and couldn't be happier. I love diesel power, but I couldn't afford what they are selling today. I've put over 135,000 on mine myself and it has been trouble free.
I did that as well (except with a low mile 7.3 with a zf6 behind it) my problem with buying a bulletproofed 6L is that the chance of someone beating on it pretty hard goes up exponentially.....I think I'd rather buy one unmolested and do it myself. But even still not gonna get you that new truck feel...
Pivo and kolache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
oOslikOo
Registered Users-pm+

oOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to PirateoOslikOo has been promoted to Pirate
[QUOTE=HTJ;12578993]I am at the point of towing I really need to consider a 3/4 ton truck and despite the upcharge I 'spose the diesel route is the way to go. So is there any clear cut advantage to Duramax vs Powerstroke or? I hear some scuttle butt regarding nagging problems on the Duramax motors but otherwise I am pretty clueless. Buying a new truck that needs frequent or even occasional visits to the dealer would be a major downer for me.[/QUOTE]

Honestly the potential is there for any of the 3 to have issues offthe bat. Buddy of mine is a big time Cummins guy. Runs two of them and uses them for what they do and he wouldnt touch a Cummins with emissions junk. However, I deal with hot shots alot and talk to them about their trucks and what not, and the guys with newer Rams seem to like them. I have a 13' Duramax and love it. I have beat the chit out of it for the first 55K and have had zero issues with it. Time will tell if she will hold up, but it has been through its paces so far.

But like Pevo said a gas job will get the job done for what 99% of people need.
oOslikOo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message