F150 Ecoboost vs 5.0 V8 - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
spook jr
Registered Users-pm+

spook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Piratespook jr has been promoted to Pirate
I bought the 5.0 because I keep my truck long after the warrantee is out. I plan on driveing it a few years while it's payed off like my last truck. The last thing I want to do is replace a bunch of unnecessary parts like turbos and inter coolers and what ever else it has. The 5.0 will pull my boat as fast as I want to with out all the extra **** under the hood. If you tow that much get a diesel. Have you parked a F-150 with a 5.0 and Eco boost side by side and looked under the hood?! It looks like you could have the 5.0 out in a few hours. The Eco boost looks like it would take a few days!! Not bashing the Eco boost but the less parts there are for sure the less can go wrong.
spook jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
aggiefishinDr

aggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to PirateaggiefishinDr has been promoted to Pirate
Ecoboost for sure!
aggiefishinDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
saltwatersensations
One more cast....

saltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Pirate
I just got an eco boost a few months ago. I also have an f150 with the 5.4. I am loving the eco boost. Fast and quiet. Pulls my 21ft robalo great also.
saltwatersensations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
WoundedMinnow
Registered Users-pm+

WoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to PirateWoundedMinnow has been promoted to Pirate
2013 ecoboost and i like it a lot. Runs smooth, pulls great, lots of power. Heaviest load so far was a 20ft low boy with my 96 z71 on it. Pulled it at 75 to pearsall never had to struggle or gear hunt up and down overpasses or inclines
WoundedMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Flats Mark
Registered Users-pm+

Flats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to PirateFlats Mark has been promoted to Pirate
it has been a few years since I bought my ecoboost and maybe by now Ford has revised their published fuel numbers, but mine missed Ford's numbers by a country mile. My friends in West Texas that drove mostly highway miles with the 5.0 got unbelievable fuel mileage.
I agree with everything said here in that the ecoboost motor is a monster. It has power to burn, but it is not fuel efficient at all.
Flats Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
Gottagofishin
Roll Tide!

Gottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to Pirate
I think the gas mileage thing is relative and depends on how you drive. I did an experiment last winter on my EB (4x4 Platinum Screw) right after I got it. I drove it around using efficient driving techniques (not hyper-miling) for a couple of days and got within a tenth of the EPA published numbers in combined highway/city numbers. That was in hilly central Texas.

My normal driving can be described as heavy footed and I do a fair amount of towing. I haven't reset my mileage for about 6500 miles and it is sitting at 15.3 mpg. That represents typical use for me. About 40% city and 60% highway (75-80) and 800-1000 miles towing 5000-6000 lbs.

By comparison, my 2007 5.4 4x4 screw got 13.6 with the same type of use. So when you consider the EB produces 25% more power with 10% less fuel, it's hard to complain.

It's not the most fuel efficient half ton, but it doesn't claim to be. It's also not the least fuel efficient. What it is is an excellent balance of power and efficiency IMO.
Gottagofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
RedXCross
Thank You! Next

RedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to Pirate
Couldn't have said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofishin View Post
I think the gas mileage thing is relative and depends on how you drive. I did an experiment last winter on my EB (4x4 Platinum Screw) right after I got it. I drove it around using efficient driving techniques (not hyper-miling) for a couple of days and got within a tenth of the EPA published numbers in combined highway/city numbers. That was in hilly central Texas.

My normal driving can be described as heavy footed and I do a fair amount of towing. I haven't reset my mileage for about 6500 miles and it is sitting at 15.3 mpg. That represents typical use for me. About 40% city and 60% highway (75-80) and 800-1000 miles towing 5000-6000 lbs.

By comparison, my 2007 5.4 4x4 screw got 13.6 with the same type of use. So when you consider the EB produces 25% more power with 10% less fuel, it's hard to complain.

It's not the most fuel efficient half ton, but it doesn't claim to be. It's also not the least fuel efficient. What it is is an excellent balance of power and efficiency IMO.
RedXCross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
surf_ox
Banned

surf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Piratesurf_ox has been promoted to Pirate
I posted this on main board.

Good summary of engine choices i read and source

* Basic work/delivery truck: 3.5L TI-VCT V-6

* Work truck/commuting/light-duty towing: 2.7L EcoBoost V-6 (less than 4000 lbs)

* Work truck/weekly towing: 5.0L V-8

* Work truck /commuting/occasional towing: 3.5L EcoBoost V-6

From here

[URL="http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/33408/?utm_medium=single_article&utm_campaign=site_click &utm_source=in_story_related"]<font color="#0000ff">http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/33408/?utm_medium=single_article&utm_campaign=site_click &utm_source=in_story_related
surf_ox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Mustad7731
Registered Users-pm+

Mustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to Pirate
Cool EcoBoost V-6 After-Market Performance Chip???

Not trying to High Jack this thread...But....

I just bought a 2011 F-150 4x4 w/EcoBoost. I have to say having
driven Several Big Block Fords I'm a little disappointed in the 14.6-15.1
mpg without towing or putting my foot thru the front bumper...

I saw a "GF Performance Chip"...that claims to be the best thing since
sliced bread...Increased HorsePower...Better Mileage...Better Torque...
Almost jumps into the ignition/computer by itself.... I'm thinking that
its like electronic racing fuel...LOL...

Have any of you guys that swear by the EcoBoost ever used one and
did it improve your MPG???? I really don't need more HP or Torque....
it seems to have plenty of of those....

Mustad7731
Jack
Mustad7731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
TheGoose
Registered Users-pm+

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
Count me in the crowd that's happy with the power and quietness but disappointed in the overall fuel economy. I avg. 15-16 mpg overall. It will get up to 20-21 on the hwy but the first 3-red light town you get to knocks it down to 16. I was hoping to avg. 17 or better like some people claim.
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message