Transducers - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Old 07-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Bucktail
Registered Users-pm+

Bucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBucktail has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Transducers

My boat came with a "shoot thru the hull" transducer on the Lowrance 18C sonar/gps (it is attached to the inside of the hull with epoxy and shoots through the fiberglass). I am not happy with the bottom picture or fish images I am getting, and I am thinking about going to a regular thru hull transducer. I hate to cut another hole in the hull, so before I do, I thought I would ask if anyone is happy with a shoot thru the hull transducer. Maybe I just dont have the sonar adjusted properly, and that is why i am not getting the proper picture.
Bucktail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Profish00
Gone Fishing

Profish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to Pirate
what the depth of water are you in that makes you unhappy, shallow water say 3-7 feet there is just not that much to look at. I have a thru hull mounted as a shoot thru and in deeper water it seems to work fine. Its a 240 blue by lorance.
Profish00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
marlin chaser

marlin chaser is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Fish

A magezine had an article on this subject recently comparing three types-shoot thru, transom mount and thru hull mounts. According to them, shoot thru the hull type was the worst, with transom mout better and thru hulls best. I am with you that I dont want anymore holes in my hull though so I'll live with the disadvantages of a transom mount.
marlin chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Captn C
Reel Gambler

Captn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to Pirate
I have three thru hull hulls and I don't like the way any of them read. None have a fairing block so I am pretty sure that is why they don't work very well. The were installed before I bought the boat and if it had been up to me I wouldn't have any thru hulls......I don't like extra holes in the bottom of the boat.

I'd say your unit needs some fine tuning...that's all.
Captn C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
On A Mission
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!

On A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to PirateOn A Mission has been promoted to Pirate
Bucktail,

I just recently installed a shoot-thru-the hull transducer on my Furuno 582L. I have been very pleased with it so far. I can run at 30 and still see bottom. My hull configuration dictated that was the best. I have a Pro Kat and was going to install a transome mount and was discourage from doing so by Air-Mar. I spoke with them directly and was told that the shoot-thru was better for my application. Now one thing that may make a difference is the output (wattage) of your unit. The Furuno is 600w!

Check the manufacture of transducer that you have, probably an Air-Mar and talk with them...You also might want to re-check the installation of yours. They required using mineral oil in the cup that was mounted on the transome before the transducer was secured to the mounting cup.

Good Luck
On A Mission is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Ernest
Registered Users-pm+

Ernest has disabled reputation
This subject always cracks me up. Almost any boat over 25 feet will have numerous "holes" in the bottom. I can think of at least 8 in my hull. Its not the holes that are the problem, its the cheap plastic thru hulls, junking ball valves instead of seacocks, absence of grounding systems, and shoddy install found on most price boats that cause all the grief.

If you strike something hard enough to pull a 600 watt thur hull transducer out of your hull, sinking is the least of your worries because people riding in the boat will be dead. We are talking about 1.5 to 2.0 inch diameter bronze shafts with backing plates glasses to the hull.

The install and maintence of thru hull fitting is not majic or luck. Its really quite simple and straight forward.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
Tall1fin
Registered Users-pm+

Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Buck,
I have the same unit and not sure if the unit is bad or the transducer. Breakwater told me to throw mine in the trash and buy a new one but called Lowrance and they issued me a RA # no questions asked. I believe its a 600 watt unit. I'm in Freeport and would be happy to swap units with you to see if its the transducer or the head unit. I would like to figure out what my problem is too. (Don't answer that!)

George

QUOTE=Bucktail]My boat came with a "shoot thru the hull" transducer on the Lowrance 18C sonar/gps (it is attached to the inside of the hull with epoxy and shoots through the fiberglass). I am not happy with the bottom picture or fish images I am getting, and I am thinking about going to a regular thru hull transducer. I hate to cut another hole in the hull, so before I do, I thought I would ask if anyone is happy with a shoot thru the hull transducer. Maybe I just dont have the sonar adjusted properly, and that is why i am not getting the proper picture.[/QUOTE]
Tall1fin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #8
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Transducers

simple SHALLOW WATER- SHOOT THRU
DEEP WATER- OUTISDE (either thru hull or transom mount)

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 11:31 PM   #9
woody7
Registered Users-pm+

woody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Piratewoody7 has been promoted to Pirate
I have a Furuno with a shoot through the hull. It has taken me two trips and counting to adjust the unit to read properly. Most problems I had were with the split screen 50/200 khz. My 667 model allows me to adjust the gain on each in the menu screen, then use the gain adjust to control them both at the same time. Before you spend money changing the transducer, pull it loose from the base and make sure the mineral oil has not leaked out of the base. If there is no oil, you will have an air pocket in between the hull and the transducer making it hard to get a signal. You may have the base mounted in a bad spot. Take the transducer out of the base, slap some K-Y jelly on it and move it from spot to spot in the hull and see if you can find one spot that gives better readings than the others. Try holding the transducer over the side and see if there is a BIG difference in the signal you are getting. If so, your hull may not be suitable (air pockets, thickness of the fiberglass) for a shoot trough the hull transducer. I am still learning to use the unit and am convinced it will do well once I have learned to tweak it. Good luck.
woody7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message