Advise on short offshore outing from Galveston - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 07-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
max power

max power is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Advise on short offshore outing from Galveston

We went out 7-11 in my boat (20ft Chaparral) and Carps (15ft Spartan) for the first time. We stayed close most of the time, not more than about 5 miles. We were just drifting about 8 inch shad and caught 5 sharpnose, 1 blacktip, and some cats, by about 11 a.m. We had originally planned on going out to a spot about 10 miles out, but decided to be safe with Carps boat. Everything worked great with my boat out there, even if it is more of a pleasure/ski boat.

I've got a few guys I went to college with that are coming to Houston this Wednesday and I wanted to take them out fishing Thursday. The boat has a deep V hull, a 31 gallon tank, 4.3 V6 I/O and I am bringing 20 more gallons of gas in tanks. This past weekend in 2-3 foot seas it was cruising 28 mph at 3,000 rpm. With that much said, I am plannig on putting in at either the base of the north jetty at Bolivar or possibly Freeport. I've got a Gulf of Mexico map (from academy) so i can refer to that with any advice. I've got plenty of variety of rods and reels up to a 9/0. About all of my previous experience is kayaking baits from the beach.

Where can I go? What can I catch? What should I use for bait?

I know no one is going to want to tell any of their great spots, but just some simple advise would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, one of the guys coming had fished off the Florida coast in a 21 foot boat and he said they tied off to a rig and fished overnight under it's bright lights with quite a bit of luck. Do the rigs around here have bright lights under them? Would this be too much for my boat?

If there's any more info you need, let me know.

-Chris
[email protected]
max power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
Tall1fin
Registered Users-pm+

Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Was fishing nearly 60 miles out in slick seas one time and a flats boat pulled right up next to us and fished the day. I was a little surprised to see a sheet of plywood with a motor out that far but was a nice day. So it depends a great deal on the weather. Not sure about Galveston but can fish SE Lump about 10 mi from the Freeport jetty and catch kingfish. Most of the near rigs are in pretty shallow water. Good Luck!
Tall1fin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
max power

I don't know if I specified it or not, but We're just going out in my boat, the 20 foot Chaparral. Sorry no pics to help describe it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
Farmer Jim
Registered Users-pm+

Farmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to PirateFarmer Jim has been promoted to Pirate
MP, Like Tall1fin suggested, S/E Lmp is a good close in spot. You may also want to consider East Bank. They are both about the same distance from the jetties. You can get the coordinates for both off of an offshore Top Spot map. Both are very pronounced on a depthfinder and easy to locate. Either one will have Kings which you can get trolling or by freelining sardines or herring. You'll probably also get Sharks if you use bait. Ocassionally Bonita or a stray Ling will show up at either location. Bottom fishing won't be much as they are popular spots and keeper Snapper are usually caught out. If you just want some pulls, though, you can fish pieces of squid about the size of the last joint of you finger on small, strong hooks and can usually catch Triggerfish until you wear out. They are good eating, but can be really difficult to clean. Good luck and post up a report on how you do.
Farmer Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
max power

Thanks for the advice so far. I think I'm going to head to the middle bank and east bank, so I just finished programming them into my GPS. I talked to Carp about the S/E lump and he said that they had trouble finding it when he went out with some other guys.

This being the first real outing for me, I'm more interested in seeing what all is out there, trash fish and all. So let me know what all I may catch and what on. Thanks again yall.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
Tall1fin
Registered Users-pm+

Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Tall1fin is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Bring a small Zebco or spinning rig and use a small hook tipped with squid to catch baitfish. Have a rod ready with 45 lb. wire and hook this about the middle of the dorsal fin and drift that puppy. Stick it in a rod holder and go about your business and when it goes off you'll be in business.
Tall1fin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Family Style
Registered Users-pm+

Family Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to PirateFamily Style has been promoted to Pirate
Spent alot of days in my younger years offshore in small boats.(I am not that old) Watch the weather and have fun. We called it rig hoping back then. Hop from rig to rig and find your way around.Freeport is your best bet. Rutherford oil field is pretty close.On your way back in aim for the bridge that croses the icw in freeport.You will find the jetties close by just ride down the bouys till you see them. Take it slow and look back alot. You should have aleast a vhf radio on board.Hard wired to your boat with a 7' antena! A handheld GPS is a good thing to have in case your lost or it rains. As you get more comfortable you can buy more equipment and go further.Towing insurance is also a good investment.
Family Style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
Steelersfan
Banned

Steelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to Pirate
Don't forgot the the light tackle for sure. With the better weather, you should be able to load up on chicken dolphin at some weedlines 8-15 miles out. Sometimes just a kahle hook you'd use for trout with a piece of squid freelined will work or 1/4 oz jig head with a 3-4" curly tail body. Have a big live piggy or hardhead in the live well hooked up to a decent size, strong circle hook ready to go in case a ling shows up. Just freeline it to him if you see one. If he's hungry, he'll eat it. Good luck.
Steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Max Power

If you have a GPS get a book from Rik Jacobsen. It is the only and I mean only book that all the numbers are right on. Not full of lots of junk. If you are just starting fishing I think Riks book is a good investment. Rik s number is 281-545 2463

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message