Trailer Tires - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 07-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs down Trailer Tires

Who do you guys like for your trailer tires? I have had carlisle and have had several tread loss cases. Tire pressure has been good. I actually had a blowout yesterday on a carlisle coming back from Port A. Of course my spare was in my garage for some stupid reason so I limped back to SA on 3 tires without too much of a problem. I went and got 2 new tires with steel radials made by carlisle and road hazard warranty. I guess I will give it another go because no company I could find makes a tire with more than 6 plies for 14" rims. If I blow through these tires again I am switching to 15 or 16" rims. The trailer came with all carlisle's, when I lost tread the first time I went to a firestone on my front braking axle and have not had a problem with them. They are twice as much $ though. Any opinions? Maybe I will have better luck with these new steel radials, the other ones had the nylon junk, Bias.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Mont
Founder

Mont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to PirateMont has been promoted to Pirate
Goodyear makes a 50psi radial tire just for trailers. You won't be dissapointed in them.
Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
Catn' Around
Registered Users-pm+

Catn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to PirateCatn' Around has been promoted to Pirate
Goodyear marathons all the way. You'll never have to worry about a blow out again.
Catn' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
JimN
Registered Users-pm+

JimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
My last boat had a decent set of car radials that worked great. I have a triple axle trailer now with Duro load range C trailer radials. Again, no problems. Every bias ply that I have ever had always made it to the trash can for one reason or another. The damage to the bias plys shows up when moving the trailer around in tight places. The radials don't seem to mind being drug nearly off the rim or pressed flat when the front or rear axle takes all of the load.
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
jerome foust
jerome foust

jerome foust has disabled reputation
I use Michelin. They are 14 inch tires especially made for trailering. My boat and trailer weigh slightly over 6100 lbs, and the tires have never let me down. My boat is in PA or I would be able to tell you exactly what they are called. The last ones I bought about two years ago were $105 each.
jerome foust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
esCape
Registered Users-pm+

esCape is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)esCape is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)esCape is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)esCape is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Being up in Dallas I trailer a long way. I went through roughly 2 sets of Carlisle's 1 by 1, each with a belt separation type issue, usually no warning except would start to bounce in the middle of a trip. I finally got "tire"d of stopping to buy a tire every other trip and started throwing the most expensive trailer tire on each time (we've got these 2 or 3 tires at around $40 each, or we have this really good one at $95 each). And after a year or so I noticed I had ended up with a complete set of Goodyear Marathons, not one issue yet.
esCape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
KevinA
Registered Users-pm+

KevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to Pirate
I Have Always Used Carlisle Bias Plyed Tires With No Problems At All, But, I Only Trailer About 75 Miles Per Trip To Get To The Water And Try To Keep The Tire Pressure At Optimum Pressure..

I Have Always Heard That A Radial Tire On A Boat Trailer Was Not A Good Idea Because Sitting Stationary For Long Periods Of Time Was Not Good For The Steel Belts And Caused Them To Seperate Prematurely, Also, If Your Tire Pressure On A Radial Is Too Low It Causes The Tire To Get Extremely Hot While Towing On A Hot Texas Summer Day.

Just My 2 Cents, But, If They Make A Radial Trailer Tire It Has To Be Better Than A Bias Ply Tire.
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #8
gregd
Dreamchaser

gregd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gregd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gregd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Trailer Tires

I was shopping for trailer tires a few weeks ago and the West Marine page says they recommend steel belted radials for long distance towing. So I ended up buying the Goodyear Marathon 14" for a spare. Plan on replacing the Carlisle bias plies with Marathons as needed.

Make sure to buy the load range C so you get the high load rating capacity/6 ply and can run the pressure at 50PSI!!

Sam's Club can get this tire for $78 + mounting/balancing. That's a pretty decent price from what I've found so far.
gregd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
Good Texan

Good Texan is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I got burned again on a Carlisle two weekends ago. I too travel a long way to get to the salt so I make sure my bearings and tire pressure are always good. I'm going to somthing else without a doubt...
Good Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message