Light Tackle Kingfish - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
andrewBaFoo!!
Registered Users-pm+

andrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to Pirate
Light Tackle Kingfish

Anybody ever tried or succeeded in catching a kingfish on a Curado?
I'm thinking about trying this in the summer just for the fun and challenge of it. I just thought this might be make catching kings a lot more exciting

If y'all have any suggestions of what could be done to make this happen (specific line, rod action, lures, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated!
andrewBaFoo!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
DrummerBoy471
Registered Users-pm+

DrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to PirateDrummerBoy471 has been promoted to Pirate
I've tried but it tore up my Abu Garcia. Probably wouldn't try it again... Lol
DrummerBoy471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
Ive caught a few on my citica 200d spooled with 30lb power pro. I usually catch them on rattle traps the bigger and shinier the better, im going to try full size spooks this year. The biggest Ive caught this way came in a hair under 30lbs and almost had me spooled, but anything smaller is no problem on a smaller reel.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
we used garcia 6000's on 7' yellow eagle claws and 15lb mono....big rattle traps and 2' of wire and a black swivel

that combo takes one heck of a beating

don't thumb the spool, I saw one impressive whole thumbprint blister years ago
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
jhua
Registered Users-pm+

jhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Piratejhua has been promoted to Pirate
My first actual fish ever was a 20 lb kingfish on a sabiki rod and some reel. I was on bait duty for my uncle, catching pin fish for them to use on lings and kings. I was pulling up some bait when the king took my newly caught pin fish and started running. Uncle unhooked the anchor and we set off chasing the fish. I remember being scared to death the whole time since everything was happening so fast (I was 6 at the time). When I think back, that was the most awesome fight I ever had- even more so when I catch sow trout.
jhua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Sweet Baby Cletus
White Oak Bayou Champion Carp Angler

Sweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to PirateSweet Baby Cletus has been promoted to Pirate
You can catch most kings on 12-15 lb. tackle. You just have to be patient and not try to pressure the fish.
Sweet Baby Cletus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
andrewBaFoo!!
Registered Users-pm+

andrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to PirateandrewBaFoo!! has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for yall's input! It's greatly appreciated!
I'm just kind of stuck between using 20lb braid or 30lb braid since you can get a little bit more line onto the spool than compared to 30lb braid.
andrewBaFoo!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Charlie2
Registered Users-pm+

Charlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to Pirate
Kingfish on Light Line

I catch kingfish on a regular basis from the beach. I use a 11 foot rod with a ABU 6000C on it. It is spooled with 20# test BG Monofilament.

I use a Rat -L-Trap or a bone colored spook as posted above. Sometimes, I will throw a large silver spoon at them.

I have caught kings and reds with a small jig while fishing for Pompano.

New for 2012: I was given a 300 yard spool of 20# test PP Braid which I'm going to put on a spinning reel and try it for kings. Wish me luck. C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
A Draper
Registered Users-pm+

A Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to Pirate
The problem I have had is line capacity and braid digging with the curado's. Normally I troll for kings but I keep a curado with 20lb pp on 6'6" medium heavy with a leader and casting spoon ready. Often the fish will bust right beside the boat and I can toss the spoon into them. When a king or jack hits it instead of a smack, I usually have problems. They strip off a lot of line in the initial run. If you try to slow them with the drag, the braid wants to dig. I have not been spooled just because I've always lock the spool and broke them off. I have landed some successfully by using the boat to regain line.

I'm considering taking a gamble on an Ardent Edge with the nonreleasing levelwind. I wonder if it may help with the braid digging.
A Draper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
SurfRunner
Registered Users-pm+

SurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to Pirate
I have caught kings on trout tackle. Abu 5500 with 12lb. test. They take the spool way down, but have always stopped and turned before spooling me. It's a lot of fun.

The kings were maybe in the 15 to 20 lb range, so it may be a completely different story if the big honker smoker bit.
SurfRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message