The Thrill of Victory - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
The Thrill of Victory

And the agony of Defeat.

My boss called me early this morning and said he wanted to go catch some more reds, so off we went.
Got to my spot around 7 and started catching fish right away. We had 4 keeper reds in the box in no time, along with a few drum. We knew a storm was coming, and as soon as we got our limit we were gonna head in.
I hadn't got a bite for a couple minuets, so I started reeling in to check my bait and I got hung up, or so I though. As I pulled harder to free my line from the "reef" I though I was hung up on, the drag started smoking off my little 2000 Penn Conflict. I knew it was a good one because nothing has pulled drag for 2 days. After almost spooling me twice I finally got it close enough to the boat to see it. It was a redfish that looked like it swallowed a NFL football.
I'm trying to catch fish for the Tackle Time Tournament, and I just knew this was a 1st place fish, as long as it was under 28".
As soon as I saw it the world went into slow motion. The drops of water getting thrown from her broad tail seemed to stay suspended in the air for hours. I could feel the electrical pulses running through her lateral line. I could hear the crunchers in the back of her throat grinding away as she fought for her freedom. Finally she looked me dead in the eyes, and at that moment she knew she was defeated. She just rolled over on her side and let me slip her into the net.
Now was the moment of truth. I laid her on the check-it stick, butted her nose up against the front, and pinched her tail, 27 15/16". It don't get no closer than that. When I put her on the Boga, I couldn't believe my eyes ,10lbs. Victory was mine, or so I thought.
Now for the Defeat.
I've won dozens of redfish tournaments and I know a winning fish when I see one, but my confidence bit me in the rear this time.
When you catch a fish like this, you drop everything your doing and take it to weigh in, that's what I always do. The problem was we still needed 1 more red to be limited out, and in my arrogance, I wasn't gonna leave with out our limit. That big red must have scared off all the other reds, because it took over a hour to catch that 6th red. The whole time my "winning" fish is laying in the fish box on a half melted bag of Bucees ice.
As soon as we got the last red we pulled anchor and headed to the dock. I checked the length and weight one more time before taking it to weigh in and it was down to 27 3/4" and 9 1/2lbs, stupid me. On my way to Texas City a massive thunder storm hit and I couldn't drive over 30 because it was raining so hard, more wasted time.
When I finally got there and put her on the scale my heart sank, 9.18lbs. All of this because I got greedy and refused to quit with out a limit.
We still caught over 2 dozen reds from 18" up, with a few drum to boot, so it was still a great trip, but if You ain't first, You're Last.
Attached Images

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
sharkchum
Banned

On a side note. My step son and one of his friends have been catch flounder in Sargent the last 2 evenings on plastics. He told me that real men don't use bait. He wouldn't tell me where they are fishing, but I have a plan to find out. I'm cooking a couple pork butts tomorrow for pulled pork, which is his favorite thing to eat, and I'm gonna tell him he's not getting any until he shows me his fishing spot.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
That Robbie Guy
Registered Users-pm+

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
You and your boy killin' it!
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
Wow that is one fat red, maybe it will still be a winner. And good luck with the pulled pork plan!
jrabq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
sharkchum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabq View Post
Wow that is one fat red, maybe it will still be a winner. And good luck with the pulled pork plan!
It already lost. The leader is 9.39lbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
DA REEL DADDY
Registered Users-pm+

DA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
It already lost. The leader is 9.39lbs.

Your right. That red fish look like it swallowed a football
DA REEL DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 12:28 AM   #8
Robert.Parson
Banned

Robert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to Pirate
Wow
Amazing red.

And good for your son. You’ve taught him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert.Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 AM   #9
sharkchum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Parson View Post
Wow
Amazing red.

And good for your son. You’ve taught him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to come down to the beach with us one day. I'll swap you a day of surf fishing for a day of offshore fishing.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
GSMAN
Registered Users-pm+

GSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to Pirate
Nice catch and write up Sharkchum! You got those reds located!
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message