14” Marlin 30/30 loads - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
NFAJohn
Registered Users-pm+

NFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to Pirate
14” Marlin 30/30 loads

I was in between projects and needed something to tinker with soooo I decided to have my smith spin up a handy little brush gun. We started with a 70s JM marlin 30/30, cut it down to 14.1”, cut down magazine tube, installed a 1895 style barrel band, replaced the magazine spring and pin/ welded an AAC 51T suppressor mount (this brings us to the legal length of 16.1”). Sights were left off because they would have to be taller to clear the can and I intend to run either a red dot or scope. Overall the gun balances surprisingly well and accomplished its goal of being short and handy. Magazine capacity is 3+1, should be plenty for sitting in a deer blind or trolling in the high rack truck. I fired three rounds of 150gr Remington into the ditch today and it’s nice and quiet. About like my 10” 300blk running supers. Overall I’m happy with how everything turned out, but in the spirit of not leaving well enough alone I’m going to develop a super and a subsonic load for it.

Anyone have any loads they’ve developed for a shorter 30/30? Thinking the 110gr stuff might be the ticket to get the velocity up.

Anyone develop any subsonic 30/30 loads? Wouldn’t use them for anything other than singing steel. I have some trailboss, but think a fast pistol powder might work as well.

Obligatory pictures.

Rifle next to my 10.5” mk18sbr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NFAJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
bearintex
Pig & Frog killer extraordinaire!

bearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Piratebearintex has been promoted to Pirate
What twist rate in that barrel? That will be the limiting factor for your subs. I run about 11 grains of AA1680 under a 180 Ranier wedge for my 300BO.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
NFAJohn
Registered Users-pm+

NFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
What twist rate in that barrel? That will be the limiting factor for your subs. I run about 11 grains of AA1680 under a 180 Ranier wedge for my 300BO.

I ran a cleaning rod and patch and it looks like 1:10. My 300blk is a 1:7 to stabilize the 220gr smks. I’m thinking a 170-180gr pill like the wedge might stabilize. I’ll test it without the can on to check for keyholing for sure! As a lefty they don’t make a factory 300blk bolt gun so that’s why I’m messing with subs in this platform. I have a 7” 300blk sbr that is quiet, but it’s not movie quiet like a bolt gun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Wado
Registered Users-pm+

Wado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to Pirate
I loaded some .30 Mauser Hornady projectiles up with Trailboss I shot through my 300 Balckout. I don't have the load data in front of me but you are pretty safe with Trailboss to an extent. I have no idea where I would start using a 30-30 case. Hornady also makes a lead round nose 30 caliber bullet I was going to try but I bought a bunch of the Mauser bullets on a closeout sale at Academy. I'm not sure about sticking pointed bullets in that Marlin tube magazine even if the recoil is low. Getting the little stubby fellers to feed may be a challenge also.
Wado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
NFAJohn
Registered Users-pm+

I think I’ll start with a 170gr flat point and trailboss. Remove the can, check to make sure the projectiles are stable and then work the velocity backwards to the sound barrier. If one sticks or keyholes I’ll try the 150s. I’m with you on not putting a pointer bullet in the tube!

Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
Wado
Registered Users-pm+

Wado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to Pirate
I stuck a 110 grain V Max in my Blackout trying to get a subsonic load using Trailboss. The barrel got so dirty after about fifteen rounds I think this had something to do with it. I gave up on the light bullets going subsonic except for the 86 grain 30 Mauser loads. If you want light bullets to go super it's no problem using Trailboss just keep in mind it's a bit dirty and might need to run a patch through the barrel more often or crank off a couple of full power loads.
Wado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
NFAJohn
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wado View Post
I stuck a 110 grain V Max in my Blackout trying to get a subsonic load using Trailboss. The barrel got so dirty after about fifteen rounds I think this had something to do with it. I gave up on the light bullets going subsonic except for the 86 grain 30 Mauser loads. If you want light bullets to go super it's no problem using Trailboss just keep in mind it's a bit dirty and might need to run a patch through the barrel more often or crank off a couple of full power loads.
Solid advice, thank you Sir.