Wife Concealed Carry - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
mlw85547
Registered Users-pm+

mlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Pirate
After we discussed it a lot, we determined that the best way for her to stay armed the majority of the time is off body carry in a CCW purse.

She's gonna stick with the G19 since she is confident with it and shoots it regularly. She has shot the snub nose revolvers before and does not care for the grips or long trigger pulls.

Thanks for the help
mlw85547 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
I agree with the S&W snub nose, hammerless wheel gun. My wife carries the 340 Airlite, it is 357 mag but she only shoots 38 +P loads. No need to be able to jack the slide, clear a FTF or other "operational" issues. Just point and shoot. She shoots it very well also but typically practices with the 38 special light wadcutter loads.
Auto's are tough on females unless they do lot of practice and shooting. Wheel gun is a good safe way. Just point and shoot.
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
mlw85547
Registered Users-pm+

mlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Piratemlw85547 has been promoted to Pirate
I agree for the most part on wheel guns. The exception here though is we normally go to the range every other weekend and our practice regiment is ~250 rds per trip. Plus trigger time at competitions. we've been going through an average of 1500 rds of 9mm a month this year and that's partly why another gun or different caliber is hard to stomach. She's pretty proficient with auto's but she's never carried outside of a Blade-tech.
mlw85547 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Understand preference but remember the time when you actually need a weapon are very stressful. Should be no thought process involved just a natural act or movement. Weapon malfunction is not good during those times. Jus sayin. But you are right there with her and you should have a good idea how things would go. Good luck.
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #15
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlw85547 View Post
I agree for the most part on wheel guns. The exception here though is we normally go to the range every other weekend and our practice regiment is ~250 rds per trip. Plus trigger time at competitions. we've been going through an average of 1500 rds of 9mm a month this year and that's partly why another gun or different caliber is hard to stomach. She's pretty proficient with auto's but she's never carried outside of a Blade-tech.
See post by SGREM above. Good info about how women can manage a CCW without actually having to reveal it. Charlies point about the high stress of even thinking about having to pull can make anyone hesitate or cause a malfunction.

During your practices sessions does she go through "operating" the weapon, clearing malfunctions/FTF, etc? Racking slide? I would offer that if those are not part of her practice (Simply shooting at the target being the majority), all the more reason for a snub nose, hammerless revolver. She can obviously hit the target. Like almost every live fire hunting event, one almost never hears the report nor feels the recoil of the weapon being fired. Even really heavy rifle and shotgun loads are not felt/heard. Practice with the G19 and only shoot a few rounds with the revolver with very light loads.

My wife is a petite girly girl and is not a "gun person" per se but she shoots the 340 very well and it is in fact the lightest revolver around so the recoil is more than it could be with another similar pistol. She cannot/hasn't learned to rack the slide on a G19 although she shoots one VERY well.

Just my .02. Best wishes and only offer my comments in a spirit of those wishes.

Last edited by RB II; 05-13-2019 at 09:07 PM.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #16
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Something like 80% of LEO involved shootings they are shot with their own weapon. These are highly trained, well practiced, situationally prepared LEOs that have their weapon wrestled away and taken from them to be used against them. Many women under the same circumstances are not mentally prepared to defend themselves in the same way and in the mechanics of drawing on a threat have a high risk of having their gun used against them. A womans purse is like her securety blanket and most are much more comfy not having to draw. The option and ability to shoot thru the bag is only present with a hammerless wheel gun.

G19 is great to shoot at the range in her range time practice. The wheel gun is a defense weapon and doesnt need to be comfy as it is ok to be shot minimally. I wouldnt want to shoot at the range that much with my carry weapon either.... i shoot a nice 1911 at the range.... stay proficient with my xds carry weapon. Guess which one i dont enjoy carrying and guess which one i dont enjoy shooting.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
cuzn dave
Registered Users-pm+

cuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Piratecuzn dave has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthunter View Post
Yup small frame revolve, S&W would be my choice.

TH
This- Ruger or S&W
cuzn dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #18
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerDavidsel47 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Sig P238, My Wifes is the Texas Edition
Davidsel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message