Do I need to go big - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
PassingThru
Registered Users-pm+

PassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to Pirate
Do I need to go big

I just purchased a Jayco 28.5RSTS fifth wheel. GVRW 10995. Plan to tow it about 12-15 times per year. Longest trip would be Houston to Las Vegas for example. Only one long trip per year. The F250 with a 6..2L looks like it would tow this weight well. Or, the real question, should I go big ($$$) and get a diesel? This is my first towable RV. Other than the fifth wheel, I have no plans to tow anything.
PassingThru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
H2
Registered Users-pm+

H2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I just purchased a Jayco 28.5RSTS fifth wheel. GVRW 10995. Plan to tow it about 12-15 times per year. Longest trip would be Houston to Las Vegas for example. Only one long trip per year. The F250 with a 6..2L looks like it would tow this weight well. Or, the real question, should I go big ($$$) and get a diesel? This is my first towable RV. Other than the fifth wheel, I have no plans to tow anything.

I would look at the pin weight the GVRW is not the governing number for moving from F-250 to the F-350. As far as going to the diesel its up to you but in the event you plan on towing in beyond the flat lands then you'll not like the results of the gasser.
H2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Floatin Doc
Registered Users-pm+

Floatin Doc has disabled reputation
Your F250 will work just fine.
Floatin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Neighbor was towing his similar trailer with a Tundra, and just moved up to the F250.....

He said it made a difference, and was happy
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
bigdav160
Registered Users-pm+

bigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Pirate
I love my diesels for towing
bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
You want the diesel for what you're planning to do. You're looking at almost twice the torque.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
JimG
Registered Users-pm+

JimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to Pirate
For towing once a year, I would go gas. Three quarter or one-ton of course. I just bought a 6.4 Hemi Dodge it is a beast. But I only tow once or twice a year now...
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
For towing once a year, I would go gas. Three quarter or one-ton of course. I just bought a 6.4 Hemi Dodge it is a beast. But I only tow once or twice a year now...
Agree 100%, but not for a trip to Vegas and back, plus the other 15 trips a year. That's lots of towing!
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Navi
Registered Users-pm+

Navi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to PirateNavi has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSST View Post
Agree 100%, but not for a trip to Vegas and back, plus the other 15 trips a year. That's lots of towing!

I agree with this, And that's a statement coming from a gasser owner
Navi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
I towed a Cougar 28SGS 5th wheel the same size with a 2500 GMC with 6.0 gas and 3.73 rear axle ratio. It did OK around here on flat land. Took it east to the Smokey Mountains and it was working hard. Screaming high RPM uphill being passed by everybody including 18 wheelers. Then I would pass them all back going downhill. I just couldn't handle the engine screaming and the stress of all the constant passing and repassing. Got back home and bought a F350 diesel. Then a bigger trailer. Then a new RAM diesel. Then a cabover. Then a RAM diesel dually.
Go bigger than what you think you need the first time.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message