To diesel, or not to diesel - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #11
Robert.Parson
Formerly known as parsrobc

Robert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Parson View Post
SGREM
does your BMW have air ride ?
I would think that 25' Ranger would make it squat more than than the horse trailer....

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Ok, so I see the horse trailer is on your wife's BMW....
Question still stands though.
Do your BMW's have air ride ?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Robert.Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #12
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
No air ride. No helpers. No nothing. Factory. My big bay boat had over 1000 pounds of tongue weight at the sacles when i first got it and it still didnt squat it. (About 600 pounds tongue weight now measured at the scales.)

And trailer brakes or not.... high performance race inspired brakes with the low center of gravity will bring to a stop much better than heavy mass designed brakes. Brakes designed to bring down from 180mph will perform better than any truck brakes designed to bring heavy loads down from 80mph....etc. no matter how much weight.

That Ranger does not have functioning trailer brakes. My big bay boat didnt either when i first got it (does now.) Braking hard would still throw you into the windsheild and not push that SUV at all. It all works better than you think it should. It is not uncomfy at all to haul even when those big sleds dont have trailer brakes.

Like i said.....it hauls, stops, handles everything better than that big 3/4 Chevy ever thought about. I sold the Chevy to go to the BMW as a better choice.

Wifes had 18" wheels....mine has 19" wheels. Optical illusion with her wheels turned as well making it look squatty but it doesnt at all. And such a comfy cushy ride when towing compared to a truck.

Last edited by sgrem; 01-21-2019 at 09:56 PM.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #13
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Towing capacity of a 2019 BMW X5 is:
How Much Can The BMW X5 Tow?
BMW X5 Towing Capacity: 5,952 pounds
BMW X5 Payload: 1,110 pounds
The 2018 BMW X5 towing capacity maxes out at 5,952 pounds, and 1,110 pounds of payload.

Towing above or even at maximum capacity is never recommended.

A 3/4 ton Chev trucks towing capacity is up to 23,000 lbs. Not sure that any SUV can tow the same as a vehicle specifically designed for carrying heavy loads. But I guess vehicle design engineers can be wrong though.

The diesel vs gasoline discussion is really one more of personal preference. IME, the gas engines will tow well enough to not be a difference in infrequent/intermittent towing. The diesel is better equipped for long term frequent heavy towing. Just my experience.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Just an FYI...BMW the manufactrer rates the x5 at 7700 and 600 pounds of tongue weight.

BMW USA (they are the doing the importing) derates that to 6000 pounds towing and 600 tongue weight for the US market. Not sure why.

But the manufacturer rates to 7700.

My boat weighs 6500 empty. Much more fully fueled and loaded out. Towed many days a week all over Texas for well over a year and 40k miles about 90% towing as i am a full time guide in that boat living in Clear Lake/Webster area and guiding from Sabine to Baffin and numerous freshwater lakes inland as well.

Up to about 7500 pounds it is an animal and tows better than the trucks i have experienced towing the same load. Over 7500 get a truck for the heavy weights.

Fact is that a Corvette will tow any bay boat made better than any truck....if you disagree with it is because you have never done it. Yes over 7500 pounds the big trucks are much more stable with enough material strength to not bend under the mass.

But a the high performance SUVs have lower center of gravity, better stability, higher performance steering, higher performance brakes, higher performance suspension, much shorter distance from rear axle to hitch point. All of these go for a fantastic tow rig option with better performance and handling under all conditions. I have experienced it cuz i had and towed both side by side.

Had a Tundra owner swear i couldnt tow that boat with that car. I bet him titles on a hand shake that that BMW towed better....we did it. He conceded that it did in fact tow and handle and brake better....have yet to see that title though....

I am not trying to compare max towing or payload capacities at all. That is a stretch. But for towing any bay boat it simply is impressive and surprising how well it performs that relatively light towing task.

Last edited by sgrem; 01-21-2019 at 11:21 PM.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #15
oponder
OP

oponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirate
i have a diesel cause thats what i wanted and i really cant justify it other wise i do tow a lot but could do it all with a gas burner he likes his X5 i like my big nasty goat
oponder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #16
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Never thought I would do it, but went gas on the truck I just bought. Dodge 2500 6.4l Hemi. Could not be happier! Good mileage, lots of power. If I towed for a living I would go diesel. But I do not...
I had a similar experience to bw but I only put 3k-4k miles on a p/u a year so was looking for newish used ... had hoped to find a 3/4t 6.4 hemi but not too many when I was looking, so ended up with a 6.2 gasser ford and am happy ... handles my few tows per year much better than a 1/2 T ...
acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKodiak View Post
Hello, I’m looking into buying a new truck. It offers both diesel and gas engine models. The thing is the $10k price difference. Do I need to go diesel to pull my rv, or is gas fine? Which is better and why? We’re not big rv’ers, maybe used twice a year. The boat on the other hand, gets used quite often. The rv is 32’ @9klbs ball n’ hitch travel trailer. Thanks.
like said gas will do it, diesel will do it better. If you do go with the gasser, make absolutely sure to get the lower gear ratios offered in the towing packages.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #18
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rglide09 View Post
Once you go with a diesel you won’t go back to gas especially if you plan to keep the truck a long time. Gas just does not have the pulling power a diesel offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree.. No, I obviously don't NEED a diesel.. But when there's a trailer hooked behind it, even just a 22ft bay boat, you're happy that it is diesel. My dad is looking at getting a newer Duramax for himself after driving mine if that says anything.... lol
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #19
TheKodiak
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast...

TheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Wow, a lot of great answers. Thanks. I'm currently in a 2015 5.3L Chevy Crew 1500 with the max tow package. I thought about a SUV with a 6.2L, but it won't safely tow the Rv. A few friends have recommended the Nissan Titan XD. The warranties sound great, but it's seems too good to be true (which I'm sure it is). As for new or used, I'm looking into new because I'll get a better interest rate, even though I'll be paying for depreciation. I read in another article here, that 15% below retail is considered normal, is that right? As for gas or diesel, I'm still weighing it.
TheKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #20
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
All bs aside, if the extra 10k is something you can handle, get the diesel. 9k on the hitch is no job for a 1/2 ton. You would look good in one of those new Chevys with the Duramax!
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message