Youth Rifle Set Up Question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
bmfireh2o
Registered Users-pm+

bmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Riggerbmfireh2o has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Work Youth Rifle Set Up Question

Ok, I wanna start by saying I'm not looking for a "debate" of any type..
I'm perfectly aware with shot placement of any caliber will drop a deer..
BUT.... We are talking about small youth 10-12yrs old that don't always shoot spot on....
MY QUESTION IS... I would like to move them up to a 270 or a 308 but curious to see others ideas on set up..
Bull Barrel
Barrel length
Stock(preferably) moveable
muzzle breaks????
I really don't know what I want or want to do just looking and thinking about different set ups..
Thanks,,
bmfireh2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Bull barrels are for bench rest prairie dog shooting. Not a fan for everyday hunting.

Browning Micro in 7mm08 or 270 with Hornady Custom Lite reduced recoil loads will take small - medium size game at any ethical kiddo distance. They are nice and compact. Kids (or adults) getting into and out of a blind a 21" barrel is very nice and much easier to handle in tight quarters. Short barrel length will limit your muzzle velocity some which limits ultra long range work. But for ethical hunting distance you aren't handicapping yourself at all.

Many manufacturers offer a compact or mountain platform. Perfect.

Not a fan of AR platform for younger or inexperienced hunters.

Practice with them to do whatever is necessary to AVOID muzzlebreaks at all costs. Don't get one. I have never seen a need or any benefit in a hunting rifle. Ever.
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfireh2o View Post
Ok, I wanna start by saying I'm not looking for a "debate" of any type..
I'm perfectly aware with shot placement of any caliber will drop a deer..
BUT.... We are talking about small youth 10-12yrs old that don't always shoot spot on....
MY QUESTION IS... I would like to move them up to a 270 or a 308 but curious to see others ideas on set up..
Bull Barrel
Barrel length
Stock(preferably) moveable
muzzle breaks????
I really don't know what I want or want to do just looking and thinking about different set ups..
Thanks,,
308 with reduced loads to start would be good. I don’t own a 270, but I believe their recoil is rather mild. So both could be options.

If it were me, I’d be looking at a compact or youth model in 243, 7mm-08, 25-06 or your 270 and 308 options. All solid performing, proven and easy to find ammo for.

Barrel length or it being a bull barrel isn’t a huge deal IMO, but for a smaller/younger shooter the youth or compact models should come with a shorter barrel making it a little easier to handle. You can always put a regular size stock on it down the road if need be. A bull barrel will add some weight, which helps with recoil but now the gun is heavier. Your style of hunting will dictate if carrying the slightly heavier rifle is worth it.

I wouldn’t add a muzzle break. All the calibers you would look at are mild enough, but a break makes them WAY louder. May cause flinching and someone can shy away from the muzzle blast.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Tikka t3x lite or hunter in 6.5 CM or 308. 7mm-08 would also be great.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase4556 View Post
If it were me, I’d be looking at a compact or youth model in 243, 7mm-08, 25-06 or your 270 and 308 options. All solid performing, proven and easy to find ammo for.

Barrel length or it being a bull barrel isn’t a huge deal IMO, but for a smaller/younger shooter the youth or compact models should come with a shorter barrel making it a little easier to handle.

I wouldn’t add a muzzle break. All the calibers you would look at are mild enough, but a break makes them WAY louder. May cause flinching and someone can shy away from the muzzle blast.
I don't think a 270 is a good option for a youth, it is among the top of the ratings for velocity/energy for a rifle, so the recoil is pretty high.
Agree that heavy barrels or muzzle brake aren't needed or wanted in a youth rifle. If you can do it, a suppressor serves to reduce both recoil and sound, good thing.
RB II is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
I don't think a 270 is a good option for a youth, it is among the top of the ratings for velocity/energy for a rifle, so the recoil is pretty high.
Agree that heavy barrels or muzzle brake aren't needed or wanted in a youth rifle. If you can do it, a suppressor serves to reduce both recoil and sound, good thing.
Yeah I don’t own one, so I couldn’t comment on what the recoil is like.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
DCW
Registered Users-pm+

DCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to PirateDCW has been promoted to Pirate
I own and shoot a 243,270&308. I rarely shoot the 308 because of the recoil. I usualy shoot my 243. My grandson is using his grandmaws 243 that has a short stock and barrel. A 243 with a 100gr corelock is mighty leathel. For me a 270 and 308 are just to much gun for a child 10 or 11 yr old. Start them on a lighter caliber and go up as they grow. Don't want to make the gunshy with to much noise and recoil.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
I am currently working on a Savage 111 in 243. Making it into a gun for my grand daughter. The oldest is 5 and pretty skittish, so not shooting rifles yet, but does shoot her pink BB gun. So working our way up the ladder and have plenty of time before she will shoot it.
While I do not think a 243 is an optimal deer caliber, it is certainly a tried and true performer with proper shot placement and bullet selection. The recoil is as light as a true deer caliber can be, so a solid choice from that perspective.
The 111 has wooden stock and standard weight barrel, as I remember it is 22". My plan is to refinish the stock, maybe FDE color or possibly something pink, maybe dipped in the Muddy Girl pattern. Barrel and action are blue and in good shape, so like remain as such.

I agree with DCW above, a normal "hunting" weight rifle in 308 has a lot of recoil, IME.

I have a Rem 700 varmint in 223 that will likely be the first high power "bench/target" rifle for my grand daughter. I say bench as it is too heavy for most youth to handle in a hunting situation. It has a 26" heavy contour fluted barrel, so recoil is almost zero, little more than a 22 mag.

No matter which rifle any youth shoots, hearing protection is an absolute must, so noise is not a huge factor. But a muzzle brake takes the noise to a different level, the concussion of a brake can be as scary as the noise.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I have hunted with 9 year old lil girly girls shooting 300 win mag.

Any of those with reduced recoil loads just about any kiddo can handle when introduced properly.

The 308 is the parent case for 308, 7mm08, 260, 243 etc all have the same case / case powder capacity. Therefore theoretically with same grain bullet and same weight rifle all would theoretically have same recoil.

Any of the reduced recoil offerings are very manageable and easily upgradeable by simply moving up to full house loads.

Last edited by sgrem; 01-01-2019 at 09:26 PM.
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
RB II
Native Texan

Recoil energy of 308 is almost twice that of the 243.
https://www.snipercountry.com/243-vs-308/
Attached Images