Lets talk scopes - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #21
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepersilverado View Post
I just keep going away from the hold over recitals because i dont want to have to remember elevations for each gun even though I have a card on my current hold over gun.

Keep on with the input.
IMO, don't overthink the hunting hold over thing. Unless you are either shooting a 30-30 (ballistically challenged beyond 100 yds) or shooting over 300 yds or shooting prairie dogs (small target), basically every modern rifle caliber will shoot flat enough for that range.

An example, a deer (and adult hog also) is approx 16" top of back to bottom of chest. A 270 sighted in at 200 yds shooting a 130 gr bullet will hit mid deer (drop about 8") if you hold at the top of its back at 300 yds.

Get your dope chart and put the ballistics of your rifle into that perspective, (the thickness of a deer) and you will stop worrying about "remembering" a whole bunch of stuff. My recommendation is use one rifle for most/all of your hunting for a while. Learn it well. Your success rate will go up by doing that.

The reality is the less you have to "remember" when a trophy is standing there, the more chance you have of harvesting it. Simply ranging a deer and then shooting can take many seconds. Trophies aren't known for hanging around for very long.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #22
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
I have way over thought it that’s why I had to ask for advice.

If I was traveling I could technically put the factory turret back on and make a dope chart.

I made me a dope chart for my bdc Nikon when I went to Colorado.

The more we talk about it the more I think sgrem’s method might be easiest. I just hate to rely on technology because my phone did not work in Colorado.
sleepersilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #23
trout250
Registered Users-pm+

trout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Pirate
i have a ziess 3-12 x 56mm. go with the biggst/ largest objective that you can find because of the amount of light it will gather, i have a stand in a creek bottom and 1 on a pipeline. you will be amazed at how much the larger objective helps when hunting in low light areas .
trout250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #24
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
The Zeiss app is mainly just for sighting in. After that its all in the scope already and immediate. Out to 300 yards it makes little difference just aim and go....and there is even a basic rangefinder built into the reticle to tell you immediately if your game is under 300....then just aim and send it. I dont use the app after sight in unless i change locations or bullets. Even then i put in elevation and temps from the house. Just a tool in the tool box. Fail proof.

Bigger objective is NOT the way to go for a hunting rifle. Our eyes cannot use the theoretical advantage anyway. Even if you think its brighter your eyes cannot allow in the useful light anyway.

Having to space up that giant objective causes addition problems....and the weight....and the hitting it on everything....and the added cost. 40-44 mm is plenty and all your eyes can use anyway.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/straight_scope.htm
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #25
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
And a 30-30 with lever evolution bullets is a legitimate 300 yard gun.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #26
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
The Zeiss app is mainly just for sighting in. After that its all in the scope already and immediate. Out to 300 yards it makes little difference just aim and go....and there is even a basic rangefinder built into the reticle to tell you immediately if your game is under 300....then just aim and send it. I dont use the app after sight in unless i change locations or bullets. Even then i put in elevation and temps from the house. Just a tool in the tool box. Fail proof.

Bigger objective is NOT the way to go for a hunting rifle. Our eyes cannot use the theoretical advantage anyway. Even if you think its brighter your eyes cannot allow in the useful light anyway.

Having to space up that giant objective causes addition problems....and the weight....and the hitting it on everything....and the added cost. 40-44 mm is plenty and all your eyes can use anyway.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/straight_scope.htm
Your eyes will most definitely pick up a difference in certain applications. Take a 20x scope with a 40mm objective and one with a 50 or 56mm objective and see which one you can see through longer, it will be the one with a bigger objective. Hands down. However, take the same scopes and dial them down to 5x and you prolly won’t notice a difference. Your argument based on weight and size is a solid one, but really depends on the use. If it’s a stand gun, who cares. If you shoot most of the time at 4-10x on your scope not much difference. If you are shooting at 300yds at 20x then the objective will make a difference in low light.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #27
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

A 6x32mm transmits more light than a 10x50mm....

20x is not much use on a hunting rifle exactly for that reason. It kills the light transmission needed in low light. Dial it down for better light transmission.

You eye can only take advantage of so much. The math does not equal what your eye can actually use to benefit you. Save your money and see brighter with less magnification.

The higher magnification doesnt make you more accurate. Shooting paper is one thing. On game is something different.

Last edited by sgrem; 11-18-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #28
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
I haven't read all the replies, so may be repeating something.
Dividing the objective diameter by the power gives the exit pupil size.

So 3 to 9 X 50 as example. 50/3= 16.6 50/9= 5.5

Obviously, with everything else being equal, a larger diameter objective helps with light transmission, and higher power magnification reduces light transmission.

I think the largest exit pupil most human eyes can use is 7, but at my age that is down somewhat.
However, the quality of the glass and lens coatings affects light transmission a lot, so there is more to it than just math.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #29
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
A 6x32mm transmits more light than a 10x50mm....

20x is not much use on a hunting rifle exactly for that reason. It kills the light transmission needed in low light. Dial it down for better light transmission.

You eye can only take advantage of so much. The math does not equal what your eye can actually use to benefit you. Save your money and see brighter with less magnification.

The higher magnification doesnt make you more accurate. Shooting paper is one thing. On game is something different.
I agree. The point I was making is that the size of the objective does matter and your eyes will pick up the difference when compared at higher magnification. However it really depends on your application and intended use for which is better. As I said, doesn’t really make a difference if it’s a stand rifle. A 50mm objective won’t hurt. Big deal if it’s 3oz heavier. For stalking or backpacking then there is something to be said for weight savings.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #30
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
And a 30-30 with lever evolution bullets is a legitimate 300 yard gun.
21"+ of drop in 300 yds is not a legit 300 yard rifle as compared to other high power calibers like .270 or 30-06. 13" and 14.7" respective.

Anything can be argued to be what one thinks is legit, but it is just that arguing and your opinion. And one of the reasons I don't frequent this site much anymore. LOTS of experts on EVERY subject.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message