Smokehouse? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
DA REEL DADDY
Registered Users-pm+

DA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to Pirate
Smokehouse?

I am thinking about doing and smoking my own deer sausage this year. I say I am thinking, and have already bought a sausage stuffer from another 2cooler, so I guess I am kind of on my way.

I have been doing a little watching and reading and have learned that making a smokehouse can be as big and as nice as you want it.

I am just a one-man show, in other words, I do not have a lot of friends or family members that would be partaking on this adventure with me so, I will not be smoking several hundred pounds at a time and maybe a deer or two at the most and just a couple of times a year.

That being said, can those who have their own smokehouses or devices post up. Also, any opinions, suggestions, or ideas would be appreciated.
DA REEL DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
fluffy
Registered Users-pm+

fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)fluffy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
i basically have a 3x3 closet in the corner of my shed with concrete floor, 2x4s on the side for rebar racks and a vent on top. a 5 gal metal bucket to build a fire in with an old piece of bent up metal for a lid. have some wood chopped up and soaking for a few hours, build a fire with dry wood and when it burns down place it in the smoker and add soaked wood and place the metal on top where smoke can get out but slowly. old school but works
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
jtburf
Back in da Saddle

jtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Pirate
You can build a simple smoke house with plywood. when your done it folds up flat.

4 full sheets plus 1 half sheet for the top, you also need a couple 2x4's and you can use closet rods for the hangers.

John
jtburf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
O&G-HAND
Salty Dawg

O&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to Pirate
https://youtu.be/5oiw5uJRJh4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
O&G-HAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Wado
Registered Users-pm+

Wado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to Pirate
Smoker

Here is the one I built and use. You don't need the propane burner but do need a hole in the bottom for draft. The fan is great for keeping the temperature down and makes sure you draft evenly. I just use lump hardwood charcoal and wood chunks for smoke either oak, mesquite, pecan or hickory or a blend. I have learned a lot since I built mine and it takes a few attempts to get your method down. Try small batches at first and invest in a good thermometer.
https://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/s....php?t=2283674
Wado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
txbigred
Registered Users-pm+

txbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Piratetxbigred has been promoted to Pirate
This is one I made out of a old Trauleon warming cabinet. Paid $150 for it delivered. Added hot plate for sawdust , vents, thermostat and fan. Made a lot of sausage with it.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
txbigred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
al_carl
Registered Users-pm+

al_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtburf View Post
You can build a simple smoke house with plywood. when your done it folds up flat.

4 full sheets plus 1 half sheet for the top, you also need a couple 2x4's and you can use closet rods for the hangers.

John
This is exactly what I did but I framed it out with 2X2 so it screws together nicely and is fairly well sealed. It fits perfectly over my fire pit. I've used it for about 3 seasons now. I also split the front into 2 sections so I can remove the bottom to tend the fire without letting the smoke and heat out of the top.
Attached Images

al_carl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
jtburf
Back in da Saddle

jtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_carl View Post
This is exactly what I did but I framed it out with 2X2 so it screws together nicely and is fairly well sealed. It fits perfectly over my fire pit. I've used it for about 3 seasons now. I also split the front into 2 sections so I can remove the bottom to tend the fire without letting the smoke and heat out of the top.
Yes sir!!! Made my deer blinds just like that.

Great job

John
jtburf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Gizzmo
Urban Redneck......and proud of it!

Gizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtburf View Post

John
Have done this for the last couple of decades.....old smokey in the middle with damp oak smokin
Gizzmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
DA REEL DADDY
Registered Users-pm+

DA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo View Post
Have done this for the last couple of decades.....old smokey in the middle with damp oak smokin
Is treated plywood okay to use? I've read if you use treated it will taint the taste?
DA REEL DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message