Death Wobble -- '94 F350 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
Help Death Wobble -- '94 F350

Sorry the long read.....

Two wheel drive, LWB, 7.3L diesel.

Headed up to Aggieland Sunday morning. Making the entrance from I45 onto 610W, in the middle of the curve I thought the front end was going to fall apart. About gave my wife a heart attack. Had to almost stop before it quit wobbling violently. Same thing happened twice more when taking the curves at each corner of 610. Everything is fine until I hit a significant curve in the road then all &$^^ breaks loose. No frontend vibration, etc. except going around curves.
Did some testing on the trip home (wife stayed overnight) and discovered that if I don't decelerate the wobble isn't 'too bad' and even improves somewhat if I accelerate.

After looking things over briefly Monday morning it appeared my front tires had some 'ridges' in a couple places and the tires have quite a few miles on them so had all new tires put on. Went for a test drive and same thing.

Jacked up the front end to check tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. Everything in the front end is tight. Zero play anywhere. Had front end aligned about two years ago as I had some wear on outside of one front tire.

This has me stumped. Any suggestions/ideas/etc????
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Common problem on the Fords. I dont know anything about it, but I know there's folks on here that had the same issue. They'll chime in
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Harbormaster
To Endeavor to Persevere

Harbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to Pirate
Mainly happens on curves to port too huh?

Replace the steering stabilizer (Steering shock absorber), they go out around every 200,000 miles or so.
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Death wobble in the old Fords is a bushing issue. Replace them all.
Cant remember if the two wheel drives have a trac bar but the trac bar bushings are almost always the culprit. Otherwise just get after all those other bushings. Cheap to replace yourself just a lot of work.

Everything else is like steering stabilizers and trying to tighten steering gear box etc is just masking the bigger issue and will wear those parts faster. Start replacing those bushings.

Last edited by sgrem; 01-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Death wobble in the old Fords is a bushing issue. Replace them all.
Cant remember if the two wheel drives have a trac bar but the trac bar bushings are almost always the culprit. Otherwise just get after all those other bushings. Cheap to replace yourself just a lot of work.

Everything else is like steering stabilizers and trying to tighten steering gear box etc is just masking the bigger issue and will wear those parts faster. Start replacing those bushings.
No track bar, the 2WD front ends are independent suspension. Everything must be work out if you have death wobble with ind suspension, it usually happens with 4WD truck with a solid front axle.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
yep i couldnt remember ......
...... start replacing front end parts. Ball joints and arms and bushings before it eats your steering gear box.

Rotate and balance tires too. See if the issue follows a tire.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the feedback guys. My initial thought was to replace all/most of the front end parts due to it's age but was hoping there was something specific to address. Did ball joints a couple years ago so one of the toughest jobs is already out of the way. I need another project to keep me busy during this cold weather.........right.

Harbor --- I thought the port curve was the primary problem until I came to the starboard curve heading west on 610 south at Post Oak and found out differently. lol

Steven -- new set of tires Monday morning.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

As in you just got new tires? (Maybe new tires created a new problem if not balanced correctly)

Or scheduled for new this coming Monday?
Old 01-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #9
Stack
Registered Users-pm+

Stack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of BosunStack has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
I feel your pain

I have an 2008 F250 4x4 LWB. I tried everything. Track bar, twice replaced, helped for a little while, tie rods - no help. Eventually replaced everything at once on the front end. Have not had the wobble since. At the time of replacement everything seemed as if it was "tight", but after replacing the upper & lower ball joints, tie rods and track bar the death wobble has been defeated.
Stack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
As in you just got new tires? (Maybe new tires created a new problem if not balanced correctly)

Or scheduled for new this coming Monday?
I had the problem Sunday. Got new tires the next day/yesterday. Sorry for any confusion.