Garage Makeover - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

GT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to Pirate
Garage Makeover

Well guys, it is time for a new project! If you followed my lake house addition from a few years ago, I sold the silver Porsche and replaced it with a nice new one last week. After parking it in my garage in Spring, I realized the garage let the car down.

Here is the before picture. I already upgraded the lighting, removed the base board and leveled the floor. The real work starts this weekend and I hope to be finished by 12/31. I added the cabinets when I bought the house in 2009.

We recently had flooring replaced in the house and had left over materials. Instead of throwing the stuff away, I plan to use it in the garage. My scope of work is:

Install additional light (done)
Install tile floor
New base boards
Paint the walls
Add graphics to the walls

The garage is a little over 200 sq ft and I will lay the tile myself. It will be my first time laying tile over just a few sq ft here and there.
Attached Images

GT11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

GT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to Pirate
Got a decent amount of the floor done, close to half. The thin set isn't hitting the 70 sq ft like the spec sheet said; I am only getting 50 sq ft/bag so I will have to pick up another bag. After being on my knees all day, it feels like I was hit by a truck!

Will hit it hard again today.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
Are you planning on parking the Porsche on the ceramic tiles?
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
fishinfool
Registered Users-pm+

fishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Pirate
i highly recommend a set of knee pads when you go get that last bag of thin set. well worth it....
fishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

I have a set of knee pads and my knees still hurt!

Yes, the Porsche will park in the tiles. If I have the correct contact between the tile/thin set and floor, it will be fine.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

It doesn't look like much progress was made but there was a lot of stuff done that didn't involve laying tile. First, I cleaned all the thin set from between the tiles, then cut all the pieces for both sides, 60 cuts total. I also filled in the top of the center section. You can begin to see how the floor will look; wood look top, sides and bottom with a stone center section. Since most of this tile was left over from other projects, the floor will cost me roughly $1/sq ft.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

Fishingcacher's comment was probably along the lines of, do you plan to park on the tiles and won't they crack?....all my neighbors and friends asked the same question. The short answer is no, with the caveat that they won't if I install the tiles correctly...

What I usually don't include in these projects is the research that goes in to a lot of what I do. First, my undergrad degree is in Engineering so I take a technical approach to this stuff. Now for some math; the Porsche weighs 2988 pounds and the tires are 11" wide and have roughly 7" of contact area front to back for each tire. I know that weight isn't exactly evenly distributed but this will be close enough, so roughly 77 sq inches of contact per tire. 2988/4 = 747 pounds/tire/77 sq inches = 9.7 pounds per sq inch.

Now for a comparison, we have a couch that weighs roughly 200 pounds and has four legs with a round contact area that is less than a square inch per leg but we will say it is a square inch. 200/4 = 50 pounds per square inch per leg. When my wife and I sit on this couch the total weight now becomes 200+225+135 = 560/4 = 140 pounds per leg and 140 pounds per square inch. The couch is exerting over 14x the weight per unit area than the car and sits on the same tiles that I am putting in the garage.

Now the research part. As I was looking at floors, I looked at the snap together plastic tiles, mats, epoxy and others. Most came in around $4/sq ft. Since I had a lot of left over tile, I researched tile as a flooring material in garages and found that many shops and car dealers have tile floors and they don't have a problem.

The final piece of the puzzle was knowing how to practically do the work and knowing the technical side of it. Any time I have work done, I always ask the tradesman a ton of question and learn the technique. For this project, I also looked up the ASTM spec for tile installation. It gave me guidance on trowel notch size, contact coverage, back buttering and bearing capacities.

If you are still awake and have made it to this point, you probably see why I don't include this stuff in my builds but with some calculations and some research, I usually know the project will be a success before I start it.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
manwitaplan
I AM EASTSIDE

manwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Pirate
Keep up the good work!
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

Thanks Manwitaplan.

I decided to put in a little time on the garage last night. I am getting faster with the tile and after running through 25 pounds of thin set, I still had energy to do another 25 pounds. I worked until about 9:30 on the floor. I think I will take it easy tonight, however. From being on my knees and putting weight on my left hand, I have numbness in my fingers...I must have compressed a nerve...getting old it rough! Tonight I think I will make the remaining cuts but not lay the tile. Sorry for the bad picture, I had already closed everything it before taking it.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
Looking really nice GT. Like the way you're arranging the tile. I think the new Porsche will like it's new home.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message