Hill Country Cabin Build - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
kodman1
Registered Users-pm+

kodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Piratekodman1 has been promoted to Pirate
Congrats on the inheritance. Great hunting in that area. Also, that's a nice looking cabin. In my opinion I wouldn't think it would cost more than $2,000 to prime and paint exterior.
kodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
JimG
Registered Users-pm+

JimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to Pirate
Neat place! Looks perfect!

I will be building something similar in size, only a single story, at our place between Kerrville and Comfort. I will use standard size window units, (one I can buy at a box store, and keep spares in the barn), for my A/C. Fireplace and electric heaters for heat.

Instead of a septic system, I will buy another Incinolet. Love the one we have in our little cabin. Takes some getting used to, but ours works great.

Love your place!
JimG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
saltwatersensations
One more cast....

saltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome!!
saltwatersensations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #14
batmaninja
Registered Users-pm+

batmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Pirate
Sorry for the lack of updates. I got a PM and wanted to follow up.

Nothing but good things to say about Alco. He knocked the cabin out in a month in the heat of July. I decided to change the interior stairs and not loft it per the layout below. I would also widen the stairs on the porch, which I may do at some point.

I was able to get it painted and primed over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Which cost me about $500 on paint and supplies, with a buddies discount to Sherwin Williams. I did have to rent a ladder though and ended up doing it myself after 2 contractors flaked on me. That's been the hardest part, finding some one local to finish it.

I ran up there a few weekends ago and meet with another guy that is supposed to move the stairs, build out the bathroom, and start running the electrical. Was also able to grab some tin and some cedar pickets to build out the interior. Also got a guy doing nearby dozer work to build me a tank.

So far budget wise, I was able to save a lot on painting it myself. The stairs is going to cost me some but I think it will be worth it in the end. I am going to do a dual zone AC, been looking at Daiken and Mitsubishi. Looking at doing an on demand water heater and batt insulation. Not sure about insulation on the floor? Will try to do most of the interior build out myself and keep it simple to save some money.

My big budget buster is a well. It going to be deep, like 800-900 feet deep. Originally I was thinking of doing a rain catchment to get around it, but thinking long term I am going to bite the bullet and invest in a well now.
Attached Images

batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
JimG
Registered Users-pm+

JimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to Pirate
Looks great! Post pics when you do the wall tin/pickets. We are doing the same on our cabin. We have rainwater collection, and so far has been great. Our place is just for weekends, so low usage. And with the incinolet we use no flushing water so that helps...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #16
Friendswoodmatt
All work n no play

Friendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to Pirate
The well sooner than later is a good idea-- Pretty soon the tree huggers wont let you drill one-- or they will find some sort of bug lizard or other thing that wont let you drill one. So, drill baby drill-- If you need some more rusty tin, I will have more than enough for my build -- pm me and I can give you some.
Friendswoodmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #17
JimG
Registered Users-pm+

Place is looking great! Any updates?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
batmaninja
Registered Users-pm+

batmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Piratebatmaninja has been promoted to Pirate
Been a bit slow going on my end. I got engaged at the property a few months ago, so the cabin has taken a bit of a back seat to a couple of things.

Got the cabin wired. Hopefully have a guy that lined up to install the ACs. Well just got drilled, and have a plumber lined up to run the plumbing. Well is 700' with about 129 GPM.
Attached Images

batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to Pirate
Great job! Just wonder how much it costs for the well?
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #20
TheGoose
Registered Users-pm+

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyARed View Post
Great job! Just wonder how much it costs for the well?
The rig and water truck probably cost $600,000. I’m betting the well was 20k.
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message